• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which 11 meter dipole antenna???

NONE

11m dipoles are way to simple and easy to make yourself.
you should have enough junk laying around to make your own and if you don't then it shouldn't cost you over $10 to build

all you really need is just a long piece of coax with a pl259 on one end to connect to your radio.
cut roughly 10 feet of outside jacket off of the coax, try not to cut the copper braid inside.
slip the center conductor out of the braid as shown....
fSdMV8C.gif

tie a small loop on the end of both the center lead and the braid
use these loops to attach to support ropes
raise dipole in the air and check tuning
you can adjust VSWR by making the loops larger or smaller

http://www.aa5tb.com/dipole.html

Another trick if you are going to 'skin' some coax to make a dipole, is to just tie a knot with those two separated parts of the coax (center conductor and the braid). That keeps the two from pulling further apart, splitting the outer insulation. A simple 'half-granny' will do it, and there's no significant electrical affect to the antenna. You still need to seal that 'open' end of coax though.
- 'Doc

Reactions: rob5
I bought the Dr-Dipole for $20 off ebay two weeks ago and it all looks good to me. They have good instructions included to show all different setups. Haven't had time to put it up yet but will soon.

dipoles are easy to build, real easy.

many dipole calculators on line
but just so you know the formula is 468/frequency, tat is a half wave dipole.

468/27.4=17'
17/2=8.5'

sop make your dipole legs about 8' 10". each so you can trim the legs and get your best impedance match.

Now to make that dipole work efficiently you will need to make sue it has equal distribution of current in each leg, I.E. a balanced antenna.

This can be done by using a 1:1 current balun at the feed point.

You can find them online for around $30.00. this also gives you an eye hook to pull the dipole up and down.

If the balun is not in your budget, then an ugly choke or coax choke or ugly balun is.

N4UJW ANTENNA DESIGN LAB - Ham Radio Antennas - Design 0rBuild Your own Ham Radio Antenna

Here is a link to many different type of antenna projects. Yes it says ham but the same principals apply to CB as to ham, it is all radio.

Have fun making your dipole and enjoy the contacts.

I've made a couple dipoles and they worked very nicely on the Rx side but I didn't have a good way to string them up so I've been using a Sirio D27 dipole for the past few months. I like it being a solid antenna with the flexibility of turning it horizontal or vertical. I had it horizontal at first and since have turned it to a semi vertical. Best guess it's at about 30 degrees with the ends aimed in a North South-ish direction. It works great! I don't have much in the way of AM traffic around here so having it 100% vertical stick isn't much to worry about for me.

When I can afford it, I will likely get a small beam and tower to mount it on. Sad part is the darn rotor probably cost the most $$ for what I'm wanting to put up. That sucks!!! not that that matters to your question lol

Last edited:
I'm interested too.
I can't say I wouldn't ever buy a dipole antenna, but not because they are too difficult to make or expensive, they aren't. They require having some basic tools, but most people have those tools anyway. It may not be 'pretty', but who cares if it works as it should?
- 'Doc

Sorry for the late reply Rockymount 622 as work keeps me extra busy these days. I have the dipole up horizontal and I'm very happy with it. It's built well and well worth the $20 bucks to me (and them some). I have been using my Saturn Turbo and kicker of about 500. Swr checks have been good with the little extra power. I just wanted to have something up for the flatside of DX land.

I use 2 separate Dr Dipole antenna''s. one is 11 meter and the other 10 meter. They are ready to go.No ground needed and great dx contacts and good local.Make sure you get the baluns and his coax. Fills all my needs.

I currently use a dipole sloped and it's at least a
Wave length high. I used a bow and arrow to get it up there . . For what it is. Works fine

I constructed my own dipole out of a 10 ft extension cord. Cut the recepticle end off, spread the wires and solder the center to one plug braid, and the shield to the other.

I have mine hung in the attic of my shop in aproximately an 80 degree, inverted V configuration.

Using a Galaxy 94, I am able to talk well DX and fair locally. Since building that one, I have acquired about 20 ft of copper tubing, an SO239 connecter and a few odd bits of hardware and my next attempt will be a rigid copper dipole to maximize the "skin effect".

595 NE Iowa

Which of the 11 meter dipole antennas on Ebay would you recommend if any?? (I'm not using any "extra power" it will be used with a galaxy 2547. Thanks in Advance!!!
Purchased an 11 meter dipole off an eBay seller. It was my first antenna and with the help of wwsx members installed it , and it worked like a charm. I couldn't give you the sellers name but he's the only dipole maker/seller on eBay that makes one for ever band. His photos show each one he sells and I believe there the only one sold new home made from 160-2 and are made using standard PVC. Mine worked well in an inverted V, with a 1:1.1 on initial install. There very well made and with hundreds sold I believe he has 100% positive feedback. Good luck

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated