• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which 2 meter yagi antenna??

Andy

Feb 9, 2007
USA - Illinois
I'm looking for a good 2m yagi (4-13 elements). I would use it mostly for DX. There are a lot a different antennas out there I'm just not sure which brand to go with (Arrow, M2, Gulf Alpha, Cush Craft etc.). Also, when I find the "perfect" antenna do I go Horiz. or Vert. Should I stack them? And if I do stack them what's better, stacking Horiz or Vert.

I'm open to any suggestions and ideas.

Thanks for your help,
Andy

You say you want it for DX so I assume you have 2m SSB capability. 2m SSB is all done with horizontal antennas. With 2m yagis for DX the longer the boom typically the better the performance.Note I did not say the more elements the better.The wide spaced arrays are slightly better than an antenna with the same number of elements on a shorter boom. One of the best antennas is the Cushcraft 13B2 and it's big brother the 17B2 Arrow makes good small yagis but not really large enough for 2m weak signal work if you are serious. Gulf Alpha makes good antenna as well but the largest is a 9 or a new 11 element yagi. I would go with the Cushcraft 17B2 or even a pair stacked. Vert stacking tends to lower the take off angle while horz stacking tends to narrow the beamwidth so it is really up to you what you want.I would love a pair of 17B2's or even a pair of the 13B2's. I just have an 11 element Cushcraft mounted horz.

I use A Hy-Gain 14 El Yagi for 2 meters, had it for several years....www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=VB-214FM
Not Bad for about $90 bucks plus shipping. It is Light weight, and turns easy with a small rotor. You can run it Flat or Vertical, depends what mode you plan to run.

You gain about 3 Db by stacking two beams together.
Click the link, and Have a look at the Manual, it shows what is needed to Stack the Antennas.
Jeff

The Gulf Alpha antennas are well built I will say that. I would still prefer the Cushcraft however for the sheer gain and FB/FS ratio. I have a buddy that runs a pair of 13B2's at 50 feet and it is awesome to hear the differance those babies make when the rotor is turned.We had a ball one weekend working 2m SSB with them and an RF Concepts 160 watt brick.We worked everything along the coast to Boston,New York and even as far south as Virginia and North Carolina on a good opening.I can only imagine what a pair or quad of 17B2's would do. :shock: In the mean time I'll just dream. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.