• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which is better??

Ok I am going to have a custom Amp built. I would like some input about tubes. I am looking at the GS-35B or the 3CX1500A7 tubes. Which of the two is best for 10 - 12 meters, and make a better running linearamplifier?

TIA

GS-35b

amp-2.jpg

hey paws,

what is the purpose of those resistors soldered to the copper strapping?

ive not seen that before and im very curious to learn.

thanks,
LC

loosecannon,
Those appear to be parasitic suppression resistors on the plate connections. Only going by the picture, if that's typical of the amplifier you want, I'd suggest passing on them. As it is, it is NOT well designed at all, in my opinion.
- 'Doc

The resistors within copper loops are parasitic supressors as mentioned. They should not be needed in this circuit.

Tell your amp builder to step up to 6kv and build a single YC-156.

The GS35B is availabe for about 160 delivered. I have one I intend to put in an amp myself. Tube is a rugged military tube. Will do an honest 2500 out if you want. I am using an older BTI LK 2000 chassis and building the power supply myself. Looking at 3000volts at one amp. 3000 watts input for 1850 out. That way at legal limit ,I have some headroom.
Rich

I hear the 35B is easily obtained and many out there. I love my GS31B box. 500 watt avg.1600 pep with 2500 volts. Would have went with the 35B if wanting more watts. You can find the 35B for 100 or so bucks if you look. 90 for the 31B.

May I make a suggestion? Try going with the 3cx1200A7. The tube is much more rugged, and if you're going to be using it on 10-11 meters, especially if you're going to run AM at all, the tube will hold up much better, and not be as prone to be sensitive to abuse due to the grid ratings.

May I make a suggestion? Try going with the 3cx1200A7. The tube is much more rugged, and if you're going to be using it on 10-11 meters, especially if you're going to run AM at all, the tube will hold up much better, and not be as prone to be sensitive to abuse due to the grid ratings.

The price of an 1200A7 tube makes that a bad choice to build around. The YC-156 is a great idea but the GS35b is the way to go.

there is no 1200A7 . com or 8877 . com but, there is a

GS-35B GS35B Russian Triode Tube,Socket and Teflon Chimney - Linear Amp Project - HF, VHF, UHF Amplifier - W4ZT

ive been in this hobby wayyyyyyyyyyyy to long. trust me use the 3x1200a7.
i dont like russian tubes because they are unpredictable and wil be rare soon.

ps. and do not ever buy used tubes on ebay . thats like buying used bird slugs.

ive been in this hobby wayyyyyyyyyyyy to long. trust me use the 3x1200a7.
i dont like russian tubes because they are unpredictable and wil be rare soon.

Yes, and I have been in this Business long enough and have the sufficient experience to offer an informed opinion about an electron tube that I am currently using. Certainly, you value your opinion but, the GS-35b which is made in Russia will work as well a tube made in the US.

The GS-35b is not unpredictable, it is a vacuum tube with operating guide lines; it is a stable medium-gain triode that does not "Take off". I have had 4500 volts on mine with no problems. To me, the word "unpredictable" translates to "lack of experience with product".

About the tubes being rare soon: Look at your World Map, Russia is a pretty big place and they have a lot of electronic gear which is going to be running for quite some time. What are you thinking, that the whole of eastern Europe and western Asia is suddenly going to convert all their tranmitters to Varian-Eimac products? Please!

ps. and do not ever buy used tubes on ebay . thats like buying used bird slugs.

Correct and, don't by used computer memory either but, Surplus GS-35b tubes are a good value and they will do 2500-plus watts each but, YMMV.

Don't take my word for it, go to:

GS35b.com

BTW: I know it's upside down, it is an editorial statement.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.