• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which to choose?

743SEPA

Sep 19, 2018
Etown,Pa.
If you had to choose between the Yaesu 757gx or a Kenwood ts50,which would you choose and why? Not concerned with physical size,both are 100 watt radios.

parts for both pretty much unobtainable...but the 757gxII (later version) if in good working condition. Either version if all you can get maybe $150 tops for early version
Never liked the TS-50...NO RF Gain control on RX only a step attenuator...MHO
TS-50...tops $200
When you consider you can buy good used Yaesu FT-450's for around $400...which beat both of those rigs to death nowadays IMHO

The FT450 has the advantage of being newer. I like the TS50 but it has reached that "awkward age" when surface-mount electrolytic caps will be breaking down. That's what happened to mine.

The FT-757 has the same age problem, at 30-plus years. The trimmer caps in this radio become noisy, making the radio erratic. Cleaning them with control cleaner tends to fix this, but then you need to align it after those trimmer caps get twisted all about to clean them.

A radio that's still under 20 years old has the advantage that you might not need to replace the electrolytics for a few years yet.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
For Sale FT-450D
For Sale FT-450D HF&6M in very good condition asking $445.00 plus shipping from 49740
i have the shipping box for the radio/ power cord/ mic and Manual
73s Ken

https://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1427735
https://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1419311

For Sale: Icom IC-718 with DSP
I have an Icom IC-718 with DSP that is a year old. I have the manual, and original box for sale. It is very clean, never left the shack, non-smoking. Works as it should, mainly used for digital and occasional SSB. I am asking for $425 obo, with shipping via USPS Insured.
I am sure these guys offering these rigs (757 & TS 50) will say my price offering are unacceptable. However look at these ads and see CURRENT Production rigs selling for this money around $4-500 shipped.
Why would a rig with less features and 25+ yrs old be worth ANYTHING close or even half of these???
MHO
All the Best
Gary

All these ads are current on QTH.com presently

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.