• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

White Tornado 225 plus, dummy load tester.

jdobbs2001

Mar 20, 2012
Curious what is the safe deadkey and max swing for testing dummy loads with this White Tornado 225 plus?

seems like a real nice little amplifier, it is definitely clean output looking at it on the scope, it hits about 200 watts, its a class AB1 amp and I would say its an accurate description from what I see so far.

it warms up really quick though.

anyone own one?

Have a photo of the Inside? Not sure if it's a true AB biased amp. There are quite a few amps that are of the pre made boards that say "AB" bias but don't know if they truly are. Dead key on that amp if 200 watts is what you see pep, should be around 25-30 watts max. Most likely requiring a 1-2 watt dead key from radio and 12-15 pep. I know the palomar 225 I have says the same on the front AB, and it doesn't like to be driven too hard. 1-2 watts dk with a carrier on am of 25-30 watts is good and on ssb 12 -15 watts max pep seems to yield good reports. A fan is a must if you use it for any duration, mine gets pretty warm as well when I am rag chewing. Good little amps.

Reactions: 1 person
Have a photo of the Inside? Not sure if it's a true AB biased amp. There are quite a few amps that are of the pre made boards that say "AB" bias but don't know if they truly are. Dead key on that amp if 200 watts is what you see pep, should be around 25-30 watts max. Most likely requiring a 1-2 watt dead key from radio and 12-15 pep. I know the palomar 225 I have says the same on the front AB, and it doesn't like to be driven too hard. 1-2 watts dk with a carrier on am of 25-30 watts is good and on ssb 12 -15 watts max pep seems to yield good reports. A fan is a must if you use it for any duration, mine gets pretty warm as well when I am rag chewing. Good little amps.

Thanks yeah I will post some pics this weekend, it definitely warms up I will be attaching a muffin fan to it. Is an swr range of 1-1.5 safe on these things I am not sure how sensitive they are in that range for the finals.

I would try to keep it around 1.1-1.3, 1.5 max. That maybe why it's heating up some too. But I normally try to stay under 1.3 swr when running an amp. Just to be safe. The older transistors are a bit more forgiving as far as swr readings as concerned vs the MOSFET stuff as far as I have seen or experienced myself. Keep an eye on It and keep it cool. Should last for a long time as long as it's not over driven. Something like the uniden 980 works well with these amps and is pretty clean for a cb. Get got audio reports when I used my palomar 225 and the uniden 980. Amp didn't get hot either. Warm yes, but not hot. No fan on it (yet). But anyway sounds like you have a good little amp there that will last a long time if treated right.

I would try to keep it around 1.1-1.3, 1.5 max. That maybe why it's heating up some too. But I normally try to stay under 1.3 swr when running an amp. Just to be safe. The older transistors are a bit more forgiving as far as swr readings as concerned vs the MOSFET stuff as far as I have seen or experienced myself. Keep an eye on It and keep it cool. Should last for a long time as long as it's not over driven. Something like the uniden 980 works well with these amps and is pretty clean for a cb. Get got audio reports when I used my palomar 225 and the uniden 980. Amp didn't get hot either. Warm yes, but not hot. No fan on it (yet). But anyway sounds like you have a good little amp there that will last a long time if treated right.

I opened her up, two 2SC2290s inside. definately will need some TLC looks like two resistor got burned/overheated.

Gonna work on it and make sure to put in two good resistors in before trying to use it. I was surprised it actually was able to work with those two bad resistors.

when I post the pics you will see what I mean.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.