• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Who to buy from?? >> Please advise

Uncle Charlie

Oct 22, 2013
Thanks to ALL of you for this great forum, I've learned a great deal in the last couple of weeks about radio's and which one to fit my needs and more.

I've decided to go with the Magnum 257 HP, but now where to buy. Only a few of the web sites that have been suggested are indicating they have any:
GI Joes, H&Y, Copper Elect., Sparky's

Any advice will be of great help.

i heard the magnum 257 will be "new" for 2014 and that the sellers are selling out the radio's they have now? again just what I heard, it may be completely false.

I have one of the newer model 257 hp radio's and it is working great, I do like my optima mk3 better, and they are still at a couple ebay stores for not much more than the magnum radio's

You are correct camaro the magnum 257hp is discontinued and only a few shops have them left, I just bought a second one from copper electronics to have as I like mine and it works perfect with my 2 pill hd amp. I talked to support at magnum and they said they are coming with some new radios around the new year.

Sparkys is out of business, the only place I have found the magnum 257hp is copper electronics.

Or do you mean Sam Lewis, as I also had email conversation with him, magnum (rf limited) is coming out with some new stuff around the new year.

Sparkys is out of business, the only place I have found the magnum 257hp is copper electronics.

The only way you want to buy a radio from Crapper or H & Y is if you have them leave it stock and then send it out to a quality tech for a conversion & tune.

Reactions: 1 person
magnum 257 should be good to go out of the box(mine was),, just do the conversion yourself (instructions are all over the net), and if you want to you can open up the mic and turn the gain up a little. the clarifier comes opened up already so you should not have to worry about being on freq. on ssb

Just buy the radio and do the channel mod yourself. Play the radio as is, and save some money. If you feel later, that it absolutely needs tuned, then send it to Magnum warranty repair center. They will give it a factory spec alignment for free. Just tell them that it seems off frequency or something. Better to have them do it than to put your cash in some exalted CB bench tech's pocketbook.

You'll only be out shipping costs to them, they'll pay return.

They will still honor your warranty if it's been expanded.

Reactions: 3 people
Thanks m42 that is solid advice, they would know the 257 better any way. I've read in other post that they will work on radios and their prices are very fair. I will contact them once I've got the 257 in my hand.

Agreed, I wouldn't let copper touch any of my radios , they were the only ones I could find that had the magnum 257hp in stock and it's one of the last as it's got a higher serial number as my 1st unit does. They will be gone soon I would say if they are discontinued. Anyway good luck and hope you get the radio you want, the 257 has been good to me, I bought a second to put up for now.

Agreed, I wouldn't let copper touch any of my radios , they were the only ones I could find that had the magnum 257hp in stock and it's one of the last as it's got a higher serial number as my 1st unit does. They will be gone soon I would say if they are discontinued. Anyway good luck and hope you get the radio you want, the 257 has been good to me, I bought a second to put up for now.

Thanks 222, I've read your post on the 257 and have found them very helpful.
May God bless you today, maranatha.
CD Vaughn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.