• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why Do YOU Use an Amplifier?

slowmover....must be the famous yankee club of tampa with the ringleader 29,, or 2995 as he is sometimes called,,, a bunch of clowns that make cb unusable,,,,,

Reactions: Slowmover
I only use one when I'm trying to get thru a DX pileup to get ahold of one of my locals, like during check-ins. The one I use is about 150W PEP. Otherwise, I never use one. What I get out of my radio is plenty, which is 18-20W PEP on SSB.

~Cheers~

View attachment 25511 View attachment 25512

Today’s Class 8 company-spec trucks aren’t CB-friendly. That any equipment installed by the factory is present solely to keep drivers (by company orders) from messing up truck electronics. It’s not about best performance.

I’ve a five foot Fiberglas ca. 1997 Wilson Silver Load to replace the short factory antenna. On back of cab (579 Pete). Gets about six inches above the 53’ van.

A Uniden 885 Bearcat Hybrid CB/Scanner in the factory overhead where the coax, external speaker and binding posts are located. Then had Ray Brashear (Rays CB Shop, West Memphis, AR) install heavier power wiring plus a disconnect so I could Velcro an RM-Italy KL203P to the radio top. Use of ONLY factory-installed coax & power.

An Astatic D104-M6B at present. The speaker is at far left; lines up with left edge of steering g wheel (Not bad)

Without the amp I’m almost mute. With it, about three miles when behind two others in heavily-wooded Arkansas on the Interstate. Similar forward in other other situations.

My reception distance is somewhat better than that.

Stuck in FL this morning not far from one of the most irritating base operators around. Never shuts up. Ruins the whole thing. If that’s the idea of adding an amp, then it’s too narrow a definition.

I may do more (experiment), but at least a minimum-reasonable TX distance is available.

(In the cubby to the left of the radio is the factory-installed GPS tracking device).

Is that the best spot that you have for your antenna?!?
That dog don't hunt.

Is that the best spot that you have for your antenna?!?
That dog don't hunt.

This is a company that hires only older, experienced hands. Tight scheduling. That Peterbilt is Cadillac-spec. AND this is how they’re all set up the past couple of model years. An emphasis on appearances.

As I’m still next to brand-new I’m hoping I see another of our trucks with a better setup. Ask that driver.

There is a spot mirror mount (top of passenger door) available. I’ll get one anyway for Scanner & Sat Radio antennas. At this point I don’t care to stick out with an unorthodox CB antenna setup. Just being cautious for a while. Some truck fleet owners are quite particular.

So, with no real changes and otherwise using factory-supplied connections, I’m still able to get out a minimum distance and receive a bit farther. The little amp makes it possible.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
This is a company that hires only older, experienced hands. Tight scheduling. That Peterbilt is Cadillac-spec. AND this is how they’re all set up the past couple of model years. An emphasis on appearances.

As I’m still next to brand-new I’m hoping I see another of our trucks with a better setup. Ask that driver.

There is a spot mirror mount (top of passenger door) available. I’ll get one anyway for Scanner & Sat Radio antennas. At this point I don’t care to stick out with an unorthodox CB antenna setup. Just being cautious for a while. Some truck fleet owners are quite particular.

So, with no real changes and otherwise using factory-supplied connections, I’m still able to get out a minimum distance and receive a bit farther. The little amp makes it possible.
Too bad they didn't let 'form fit function'. That antenna is going to provide skewed forward propagation with little/no rear propagation. Too bad there isn't enough room on the mirror mount 'cause that is where I'd put it. Just saying . . .

.... and would I benefit from using one?

If you're considering going this route keep in mind that the more power you push the more important a good antenna install is.

Personally I like to have an amp available but I don't make installing one a priority, the ones that I have installed have seen very little actual usage. It is nice to have a little extra available for the odd occasion where it is helpful.

Reactions: PHILIP L FRANK
If it were "my" truck (not owned by me but the one i use daily) here is what i would do.

I would get something like this:

CbAntennaMountUboltMirrorMt.jpg

and mount it to a piece of 1/4" steel plate, about 6" x 6" using countersink head bolts so that the back of the plate was flat.

then i would get something like this:

Z1xBowicpEx_.JPG

and add some sort of handle to it.
found here: https://www.zoro.com/mag-mate-cup-magnet-95-lb-pull-mx3000/i/G5400087/

Looking at the pic you posted, i would choose that little area toward the very top of that fiberglass cap that is on top of the cab, and stick the antenna mount on the outside, and the magnet on the inside.
now you would have a make-shift magnet mount antenna on the side of the cab way up high.

then i would get an antenna such as this (or similar of course):

k40truckerSm.jpg

found here: http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1171

there would most likely be a few SWR issues to take care of but that could be taken care of with some counterpoise on the mount.

I am not a truck driver, so take this idea with a grain of salt, but maybe it at least creates some actual good ideas in others minds.
LC

If it were "my" truck (not owned by me but the one i use daily) here is what i would do.

I would get something like this:

CbAntennaMountUboltMirrorMt.jpg

and mount it to a piece of 1/4" steel plate, about 6" x 6" using countersink head bolts so that the back of the plate was flat.

then i would get something like this:

Z1xBowicpEx_.JPG

and add some sort of handle to it.
found here: https://www.zoro.com/mag-mate-cup-magnet-95-lb-pull-mx3000/i/G5400087/

Looking at the pic you posted, i would choose that little area toward the very top of that fiberglass cap that is on top of the cab, and stick the antenna mount on the outside, and the magnet on the inside.
now you would have a make-shift magnet mount antenna on the side of the cab way up high.

then i would get an antenna such as this (or similar of course):

k40truckerSm.jpg

found here: http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1171

there would most likely be a few SWR issues to take care of but that could be taken care of with some counterpoise on the mount.

I am not a truck driver, so take this idea with a grain of salt, but maybe it at least creates some actual good ideas in others minds.
LC

Like your idea. Getting access to interior side of panel would be the problem.

Another HAM recommended gluing a steel panel to the underside.

A trucker reco
Too bad they didn't let 'form fit function'. That antenna is going to provide skewed forward propagation with little/no rear propagation. Too bad there isn't enough room on the mirror mount 'cause that is where I'd put it. Just saying . . .

Yes. Correct assessment of observed performance.

There aren’t any commercial mounts for the sideview mirrors. So it’ll be a project. I’m home maybe once per month.

Petes' ... hmmm - now I can see why - they have those up from the side mirrors.

How do you like them? I now know what you're up against so you have my sympathies with regards to the Boss'.

I thought they'd have "cowl mounting" off and up the side above the escape hatch frame for you to have some place to mount your stuff...

At least he was trying to put you in a nicer truck but to be honest - I'll take an old International or Freightshaker from the 90's generation any day - at least they still used analog metering...

At least you could watch the show - took a long h*ll of a time to warm up and be ready but - the show was worth it. You had an excuse to put in your logs to really truly mean - waited for air pressure warn light to extinguish...;)

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.