• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why echo?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

2 minutes and 10 seconds of two bone heads repeating their locations to each over and over. The other station did say he "got down" which back in the 80's was slang for dancing. Why was he dancing and talking on the radio..lol I'm glad dodgem mentioned he was using echo at the end...I could hardly tell :whistle:

Classic CB skip talk. Why can't they have a normal conversation? So many questions and so few answers.

Quoting the Joker (Heath Ledger) "Why so serious" ? Cbing is supposed to be fun, last time i checked. :bdh:

Some people have fun by pissing others off with their noise toys and echo etc either on channel or just next door and do it for the sole reason of pissing someone off. That is the problem. Fun to you may be cruising a subdivision on a Harley with straight pipes at 3:00am but to the residents of that subdivision you are an annoying asshole. :LOL:

A bunch of ham guys voicing their dislike for echo in a CB radio section of the forums..... this makes for quality entertainment. (y) :pop:

~Cheers~

It's funny how some people state that the vast majority of hams either started in CB or are still active in CB and then rag about them making comments in a CB section. If comments were open only to non-ham CB'ers then I must have missed it.

It's funny how some people state that the vast majority of hams either started in CB or are still active in CB and then rag about them making comments in a CB section. If comments were open only to non-ham CB'ers then I must have missed it.

I never said that people couldn't come here and talk about it.

However, since this is in the CB section, there will be people that enjoy running echo. Personally, I don't run echo, and I don't care for echo. But if people want to run it, that is their right to. People criticizing other people about what they run is just asking for trouble, and could lead up to locked threads and bans.

If people don't like it, turn it off. Or find another channel. You don't have to listen to it. That's what I do when I hear a bunch of people running echo myself.

I grow tired of all the bad press that CB'ers get. I understand we have issues on the band. But not all of us are bad people.

~from a "Children's Bander"

~Cheers~

Reactions: 144inBama
I think more than just hams are sick of the garbage that is on the band these days. More and more truck drivers, people who would normally gravitate to the hobby, are shunning CB.

Out of necessity, most trucks have CBs, warehouses use them to communicate with the drivers. However, a lot of drivers i have spoken to refuse to turn the radio on unless they have to. The overwhelming majority of these drivers complain about the echo of other radios. They simply don't want to listen to it. So the radio to them is a tool used by necessity only, and with distain.

Echo users on the other hand have little to no understanding of why it bothers other people so much. They think it sounds good and so do their friends who use echo. They tune the echo using their talkback and can understand every word said, after all, they said it so they understand it.

The argument will continue here I bet, and some of it will focus on rather or not people should comment, or just spin the dial. In an age of declining interest in the hobby however, I would think the discussion would be better focused on what is driving new users away.

Everyone gets bad press sometimes, Cbers get it, Hams get it that`s just the way it is. There are plenty of Hams here that just do not post their call signs on the forum, not required, or necessary.
We encourage ALL radio services here on this forum....it is all about radio no matter if it is CB, Ham,GMRS,FRS,MURS whatever.
Some topics are touchy, just like the Code/No Code debate.
Lets try not to let it become a us and them thing when the core topic is radio of some kind regardless of where in the frequency spectrum it is.
Moving right along.....

Jeff

Lets try not to let it become a us and them thing when the core topic is radio of some kind regardless of where in the frequency spectrum it is.
Moving right along.....
Agreed, that was not the meaning for starting the topic. I really just want to know the reason for echo as it was always prominent in ads for rigs.

I was shooting some skip last week and without even asking the person out there complimented the way I sounded through my Galaxy Echo RB desk mic. Im pretty sure I have the settings just right and not overbearing of too much echo. I was pleased to get such a compliment just rambling on the radio.

Always liked the way they sounded as long as they were understandable. Finally after many years I have my own and it compliments the Cobra 2000 quite nicely.

I can understand that its not wanted on the ham bands but on cb. Who cares. Its been a 30+ year argument about it. The horse has been beaten long ago. Let it go.

I never said that people couldn't come here and talk about it.

However, since this is in the CB section, there will be people that enjoy running echo. Personally, I don't run echo, and I don't care for echo. But if people want to run it, that is their right to. People criticizing other people about what they run is just asking for trouble, and could lead up to locked threads and bans.

If people don't like it, turn it off. Or find another channel. You don't have to listen to it. That's what I do when I hear a bunch of people running echo myself.

I grow tired of all the bad press that CB'ers get. I understand we have issues on the band. But not all of us are bad people.

~from a "Children's Bander"

~Cheers~

Apparently I misunderstood the intent of your post and for that I apologize.

As for the "just tune to a different channel" part, sure if you are just listening but often people just start keying up while you are having a conversion and use echo, beeps, noise toys etc. i suppose then you could just end your conversion but why should you? I truly believe that most times such sounds are used more to annoy for one's own "fun" than they are for the fun of everyone.

There's a couple stations here that run way to much echo and reverb, in my opinion!
I run my echo as low as the knob goes! My opinion is that it adds texture and depth to a other wise bland tone!
Ever hear an award winning singer in person, without studio enhancement?

Have fun

Reactions: 1 person
To my ear, echo does not add "texture or depth" try adding some plating for
Airiness and Depth...... just my two cents

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?