• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why echo?

:laugh:
I need some help in understanding here. Why echo? What is the purpose of it? Even in my CB days I never liked it. The only time I liked it was my radio days when I was spinning disc's at a 10,000 watt oldies AM station in Joliet IL. It gave show the 50's feel, anyway I am not trying to start a flame war here but almost every DX radio has echo? I can understand the roger beep but not echo.

So I ask the question..... why?

I guess it sells radios to the uninformed.! Maybe they are over compensating for a small .................................signal!:laugh:

It looks Hi-Fi-ish to me.

To the uninformed it may. That is what Bulldog hopes and believes in. Simply plugging "Hi-Fi" gear into a CB or ham radio does not mean you are broadcasting in "Hi-Fi". It may make a small difference in audio quality if the original microphone had issues however most radios have at least some audio bandwidth limitations in the microphone amplifier circuitry and they certainly have bandwidth restrictions in the transmitter IF stage. I had an Icom IC-735 HF radio that had an input on the back to insert audio that bypassed the normal microphone amp and went directly to the balanced modulator stage and that did indeed make a noticeable difference in quality however simply shoving wideband audio into the microphone jack of a radio does not do a whole lot for it. Even if it did then so what? Unless the receivers of all the radios listening were modified to accept wideband audio then you are just pissing into the wind and calling it a shower. :whistle:

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.