• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

will GainMaster Produce the higher wattage Version?

Okay, I thought this thread had died. Ive received this Mod Upgrade that you can Perform on the GainMaster. I did not write it. Ive copied it and Pasted for all to Read.

So far the only legitimate complaint about the Gain Master has been its power handling capacity. Its high tech design does deserve credit for the gain it produces on the horizon. Originally they were advertised at 1 KW for short periods. After some failures in the first production runs this has been derated to 500 watts PEP or 125 watts AM carrier. I really wanted this antenna to be able to handle the full 1500 watt PEP on 10 meters and......it can be done!

The weak link is the series capacitor feeding the top element. The stock antenna uses a short piece of special coax trimmed to the correct length. Ever wonder why some people report blowing the cap up with just a couple hundred watts while others insist the can put 1 KW into it? This all depends on how clean the end of the coaxial capacitor was cut when it was tuned. There have been some improvements in this area since the first production runs.

If it was a perfectly clean and flush cut it may have an RF breakdown voltage around 1500 volts. If there are any imperfections in the cut causing the end to not be concentric or any of the braid to come unraveled, the breakdown voltage can fall well below 1000 volts. Unfortunately there are no commercially made capacitors of the correct value that can fit in this fiberglass radome and the reason this part must be custom fabricated.

The stock capacitor is made from RG-303 coax cable. It just so happens that RG-393 coax has the same velocity factor, and capacitance per foot as RG-303 but it has well over twice the RF breakdown voltage at 5000 volts. This makes RG-393 the perfect Teflon coax cable to fabricate the custom upgraded capacitor from. The bad news is it's very expensive costing over $100 for a new 10 foot section to experiment with and I'm not selling any.

If you want to try this modification on your own, the most important thing is how you prep the open end of the coaxial capacitor. You'll notice the braid is pulled back over the Teflon by about a 1/4 inch to prevent arcing. What is not so clear is that the center conductor inside the coax has also been pulled back inside the Teflon by the same distance. The hole in the end was filled with clear silicone and plugged with a piece of Teflon cut from the insulation to completely captivate the center conductor in Teflon.

The length of the new capacitor is determined by the length of the braid on the stock cap. The distance the braid overlaps the center conductor determines the capacitance value. The new cap will have a longer Teflon center but the length of the outside braid should be identical to the stock one. I unwrapped the braid and formed it to fold under the board to solder flat. Using a Dremmel tool I cut the bottom of the board through the center of the two holes the wires originally went through so the new braid could be soldered in the exact same position. The top black wire is soldered to the top braid on the cap since it does not fit well inside the fiberglass when the connection is at the bottom.

The copper trace on the bottom of the board is spaced too close to ground and can arc. This is why the center conductor are soldered on the top of the board. I Used clear silicon to insulate this connection from the board and seal it. The unused copper pad on the bottom of the board was removed to prevent arcing. The lower circuit board that connects the matching stub to the two orange cable also needs its center pad modified in the same way. All three center conductor should be pulled from the board and soldered on top with the old pad removed.

Seal both boards in heat shrink tubing that has glue inside and you should be good for 1500 watts PEP in intermittent communications duty cycle. I wouldn't go past this point due to the orange coax being the next weak link in the chain. It's average continuous duty cycle ratings indicate it should have no problem at 1500 watts PEP for intermittent communications service. Beyond this and you risk melting the coax or the connector in the center of the harness. Using larger coax prevents you from wrapping enough turns around the base to form the choke.

Almost forgot: The length of the top black wire must be shortened by the length of the braid on the capacitor that was added in series with it. It is the difference between soldering the black wire to the board or soldering it to the end of the braid so it fits inside the antenna. Trim it with a VSWR meter checking the bandwidth ends to insure you get it where you want it without passing the point.
3 Attached files| 107KBsee. At your Own Risk. Best to you alll......................

Attachments

• Burnt Cap 1.jpg
    Burnt Cap 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 13
  • RG393.jpg
    RG393.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 10
  • Side by Side 2.jpg
    Side by Side 2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 9
AudioShockwav thank you for posting the Link and letting us know that the Gentleman who posted this is a member to this great forum. That rocks. Best to you there and sincere wishes. San Francisco LightFoot with the Golden Wave.........(y)

Everyone wants this antenna to handle more power but they are already complaining about the price. It is possible to replace the capacitor with one that can handle 5000 volts rather then the stock 1900 volts. Increasing the breakdown voltage of the capacitor to more then double should allow the full 1500 watt PEP legal limit for ICS use. I spoke to Sirio about this some time ago and was informed this would require redesign of the antenna and assembly line process that would make in not economical. Here is the question I would like to see some feedback on: Would you pay an extra $100 for the materials and precision hand labor required to build a higher power version???
Greetings,

Yes I think many operators here in the usa would pay for it for both 10 and 11 meters. I just don't think it would cost that much to add the upgrade rg-393 cable but i may be wrong. Here is my reasoning.

$100 for a 10 foot section at retail.? (assuming you paid retail) Sirio should be able to buy it at better than wholesale, lets just say $70 bucks for a 10 foot section. That is $7 bucks a foot. Let's just say you need a half a foot to replace the original 303, that would be $3.50 per antenna(if that i am sure sirio can get a better price than i used) + labor. Surely labor is not $96.50 to do this.

Even if Sirio paid the retail price for the 393, cost for a half foot is $5.

Please let me know if i missed anything on this observation, not just shockwave but anyone.

I think you guys are dreaming. I doubt that Sirio will ever modify the Gain Master antenna...just to accommodate the power desires reported here for CBr's.

If more power capabilities was that big of a deal, then a few such brands would have already...captured the market. And that surely hasn't happened.

Reactions: 2 people
how much will be enough ? if they double it to 1000 watts , wouldn't it make more sense just to run the amp easier at 500 ? 5k would make a noticeable difference though .
heck , even if they made a 100,000 watt model , someone is gonna complain that they would like to run the gain-master , but it won't handle their amp . LOL

Reactions: 1 person
I have emailed Sirio ( Stefania & Lorenzo ) as more people asking also about a higher rated version via my magazine article and youtube channel. I think it could be made as a service option, as to a whole new antenna with this i think would be cost troubles as all made inside the EU and labour not as cheap as Apple have in China:whistle:

Whilst in my heart i think nothing will change, i believe there is enough business reason why this could be an option. Now i and others here need sit and wait to see if commercially acceptable to make this.

And Sirio replied this morning:

So: for now, this change is notplanned, but considering that many people are asking us the hi-power version of Gain-Master, It is possible that in the future we will evaluate this modification ( ...of course still in according with market trend... )

So at the moment maybe the door is almost closed, but i think can re-open as sure the market needs now a high power version of the antenna

Nice work, simonradioman.
Sirio would need to get the power handling quality higher up - anyway. It is in their own best interest. The Imax can already exceed what the SGM can do; they need to do better against the Imax if they are going to truly compete. They only need to change on simple, inexpensive part to attain that end. 'New and improved' can sell a lot more antennas since the info concerning its failure is already known.

Last edited:
Nice work, simonradioman.
Sirio would need to get the power handling quality higher up - anyway. It is in their own best interest. The Imax can already exceed what the SGM can do; they need to do better against the Imax if they are going to truly compete. They only need to change on simple, inexpensive part to attain that end. 'New and improved' can sell a lot more antennas since the info concerning its failure is already known.

According to the designer the RG313 mod on the capacitor is only the first stage and that alone is not stable and good enough. They would also need to change the red coax for more heat and power steady and this makes the costs a lot higher.

I just re-emailed them and asked about a 1/2 High Power version as needs less fibreglass, less materials and maybe this way could be a possible idea. When i met with them in Italy last year they had many plans and many ideas so maybe we need wait and see if and when these will materialise

When i met with them in Italy last year they had many plans and many ideas so maybe we need wait and see if and when these will materialise

do you know if any of their plans or ideas included a physically stronger version of their vector 4000 ?

do you know if any of their plans or ideas included a physically stronger version of their vector 4000 ?

The new Vector 4000 has up-rated metalwork and components compared to the last series. Not sure if it is as strong as you would like it to be? I have one here to test later in the summer when have some holidays and time to make it ready.

I have also been once more in contact with Sirio ( Mr Mezzadrelli ) and all can say for now let us wait and see. He has written some excellent and positive words. I conclude from his words that Sirio are interested to make / or to evaluate a higher power version of the antenna.

You have my word i will keep you informed. When Sirio wanted information about counterfeit antenna told they asked me via my youtube and magazine article to let it be known. So, fingers crossed something positive comes from the experts in Italy

Last edited:
tks for the reply . hopefully you will have some storms with high winds to test the durability of the new vector ;)

hijack over :)

So here is the latest news from Italy 12/04/2012 so received today. They will now evaluate the costs in making a "high power" Gain Master. While there is no deadline, no firm news and no estimated time or anything am happy to say that they will now make the steps to check out the idea and if it is commercially viable. This was an email exchange the last few weeks and this news is the hottest.

When they tell me more and if they tell me more will write it here. But the designer has today written positive words and how he wants to test this idea in various weather related ways, making sure the antenna is strong enough when built etc and the costs will now be investigated.

Thats it.

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.