• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will this receiver pickup ham and amateur radio stations

thumbs1

Dec 28, 2019
First post here. I am brand new to any of this. I know not of what I speak.

I bought a Eaton Elite Executive receiver. The question is will this radio pick up ham and amateur radio bands? Here are the bands listed.

This radio has upper and lower side bands. If you need any other info don't hesitate to ask. Thanks
AM 520-1710khz
Fm 87.5-108mhz
LW 150-285khz
SW 1.711-29.999mhz
AIR 118-137mhz

thanks for the help

Last edited:

BANDPLAN.jpg

USA_AUTO_DATA_BANDCHART.jpg

GREEN Sections are the voice allocations...20 meters 14 MHz and above are Upper Sideband
1.8 thru 7.300 (160/80/40 meters) are Lower Sideband

Best Daytime bands to listen are 40/20m on days when conditions are good may find activity 0n 17 through 10 meters.
NIGHT time 160/80/40 meters best bands to listen.
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

PS: WELCOME to Group...Ask away many here to help!

Hey thanks guys. This may lead further into the hobby but for right now Im a bit under the weather and am home bound for a while. Thought I would start a new hobby of listening but all you guys know how dangerous that could be. LOL

I did pick up a bit of wire. One of those 23' or so roll up things and hung it in the living room, much to the chagrin of my wife. LOL Seems to help quite a bit.

Thanks for the help, charts and willingness to help. Any suggestions are welcome including settings on the radio to help with reception. The instructions assume the operator has a little exp. which I have none. I built a Heathkit SW receiver when I was a kid but that was a long long time ago. Actually I remember nothing. LOL

Reactions: Slowmover
Thanks for the links. I've looked at a few of then but not all for sure. I'll go through them. Thanks

thumbs1, welcome to the addic- er, hobby!

just wanted to add that while adding an external antenna to those portable shortwave radios is supposed to increase reception, there is another limiting factor in how well that will actually work.

without getting into tech details, it's called the receiver front end, and its the first amplifying stage of the receiver in your radio.

usually the front ends on those portable receivers are sub par at best, and are easily overloaded when an external antenna is used with them.

you may have a problem with this, and you may not, but the way you will know is if it seems like no matter where you tune the radio, the same AM sports/talk radio station keeps coming in really distorted, that means that the front end has been over loaded and the radio can't discriminate between signals.

if you find this to be the case, you will be stuck using the stock telescoping antenna until you upgrade to a radio with a better front end. (probably not a portable SW radio).
LC

Reactions: Slowmover
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I lucked out. I moved the 23' portable antenna to around the window. Went through the local am stations and they all came strong and clear. I was happy to hear that.
Last night I was tuning around and found several stations in the 1350 range and a couple of others. I am in Pa. and from what I could gather they seemed to be located around Winchester VA. and WVa. Some were very clear and some in and out. I tried with and without the wire antenna and it sure made a huge difference. Only with the radio antenna collapsed. That shows at least the antenna and jack on the radio is working. Anyway seems to be working pretty well but then again I have little to compare it to. Not of the stations I was receiving showed up on my S meter at all.
Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I listen to them all and will try what I can.
thanks

I am in Pa. and from what I could gather they seemed to be located around Winchester VA. and WVa. Some were very clear and some in and out. Anyway seems to be working pretty well but then again I have little to compare it to. Not of the stations I was receiving showed up on my S meter at all.
Thanks again for all the help and suggestions. I listen to them all and will try what I can.
thanks

I'm not trying to dissuade you from listening to your radio / antenna combo:cautious: - it's a lot of fun...however, you can add to the fun by listening to a SDR website. There are quite a few out there, but this one is pretty good and covers many frequencies:

http://k3fef.com/?fbclid=IwAR1NY1lobyAI_tU67LrkQzu-XyE5q9ZX-PlBgUbuNC2TPjQ3EI8a2FmXof4

This website has many SDR sites listed:
http://www.websdr.org/

Thank you for the links. Yep been listening to the one on top. I had to send the radio back for a tuner problem. At this point I'm not in a hurry to get another radio until I find a good one. I am sure the Eton is a very good one I just got one with a little problem.
Actually I am considering getting a license. Not a clue where to start. No one I know is a ham operator. As of now my main reason is for being able to use a VF or UHF radio like these small hand radios. I think just the basic license would do but I know not of what I speak. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.