• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wilson or sirio? mobile durability magnet mount

Breedlove or a gunny puck. Google Them. I know the breedlove mounts are good. Haven't heard much about the gunny mounts but I think they are well made as well. Sirio sells a hard mount setup with upgraded coax that will Handle over 1000 watts. I would not put more than that through the sirio antenna anyway. If you want an antenna for power look up the predator 10k. But for 500-1000 watts I think the sirio turbo or performer 5000 should work.

my wilson 1000 handled last winter just fine, broken snow and cold records and all. and it's... 15-20 years old...
I had to use some silicone 3 years ago to cover a wear/split in the coax from the trunk lid squeezing and wearing on it when opening and closing the trunk, but that's the only problem I've ever had with it.

Friend's Sirio Performer 5000 is over 5 years old. My Sirio 4000 and the magmount is over 10 years old.

600W is just completely unnecessary and way more than the capacitive coupling a magmount can provide even if you change the coax or even use a triple magmount. You'll be lucky if the effective radiated power is even near to 1/3 of what it should be. If you're hell bent on running that kind of power then fixed mount is the only way to go.

Maybe part of the reason you think you need 600W is because of a poor antenna system installation.

Reactions: milkman21218
I had to use some silicone 3 years ago to cover a wear/split in the coax from the trunk lid squeezing and wearing on it when opening and closing the trunk, but that's the only problem I've ever had with it.

You need to change the coax. When you pinch the coax it alters the impedance of it as it alters the spacing between the inner and the braid which is what determines its impedance. That in turn alters the SWR.

Friend's Sirio Performer 5000 is over 5 years old. My Sirio 4000 and the magmount is over 10 years old.

600W is just completely unnecessary and way more than the capacitive coupling a magmount can provide even if you change the coax or even use a triple magmount. You'll be lucky if the effective radiated power is even near to 1/3 of what it should be. If you're hell bent on running that kind of power then fixed mount is the only way to go.

Maybe part of the reason you think you need 600W is because of a poor antenna system installation.
sorry but I find your comment to be a bit rude, i was Just asking a question. I will Not be getting a 600 and even if I did, I would not run it high. Just asking and learning. If I did hard mount it on the trunk, what kind of directional range would it be?

Last edited:
I wasn't being rude, merely pointing out that there's simply no need for 600W.

Not sure what you mean by directional range. I work the world on mine with 100W and where I end up depends on the propogation. In winter you get further than in summer. Morning will be to the east, Asia/Australia, afternoon to USA and South America, early evening Caribbean.

I saw a picture of a saw blade used as a backing plate somewhere in the web.....looked like a good install idea. Hole was the right size? And fit perfectly for added strength to the roof sheet metal.
I use a mag mount but should have drilled the hole! Rusting under the mag mount is starting.... 7 year old Wilson 1000 standard coax that came with it. Run QRP up to 100 watts with zero issue. Good antenna, never used a sirio....
M0GVZ is right, coax routing with wide radius, slow bends is very important. Also 600 watts is a bunch! Not being rude it is a fact. That much RF power could easily, Without a very good install create issues with your auto? Stereo, cpu's, antilock brakes? Check out K0BG.com for info on mobile antennas and installs....best mobile site on the web, Alan covers in detail most questions and setups. Good Luck 73

Another way to strengthen the roof is to go to a breakers yard and get them to cut a section out of the roof of the same model you have and then put that on the underside of your car roof. It should mean its the same contour as your own roof which makes things easier.

A piece of aluminum not too thick that can be bent somewhat will work as well. That or some abs plastic. Use like 1/8" to 1/4" type. Should be plenty. The antenna doesn't weigh that much. when I drilled mine it was an older vehicle so I went overboard on the mount, used a 1/2" piece of abs plastic that was roughly 8"x8" and 12 1/4" ss bolts and nuts. Needless to say the mount was sturdy as heck lol. I would really look into a breedlove or gunny puck mount and run your own coax to it. JMO.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.