• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

wilson or sirio? mobile durability magnet mount

eagleeyes

Aug 14, 2013
I like the sirio line for mobile antennas mainly the turbo 5000 or megawatt 4000 rigid or not. My main concern is durability. I live in michigan and the weather can be pretty crazy with winter and the road crews can get pretty crazy with laying down salt during winter at times. Id be using the pl145 magnet mount. Ive been reading and no one has been really talking about how well the antennas handle weather conditions from really hot to freazing cold. do the areas where the antennas angle have any difficulty with wear and tear in winter? Does lots of road salt effect the antennas? Ive been debating whether or not to replace the magnet that went bad on me for my wilson 1000 or go with a sirio antenna. I want to know whether sirio or wilson is the better choice because of weather conditions for longevity.

I like my wilson antennas. I run a wilson 2k on my semi, and a 1k mag mount on my pickup. Havent had any issues with any I've ever ran that some speak of, i may just be lucky. BUT, the next antenna I buy will be a sirio. Probably a turbo 5000. Haven't really seen any bad reviews, and they say they will out perform a wilson 5k.

I haul highway salt in the winter, I'm in it all winter long. On my mirror mounted 2k, only issue I've seen with salt is at the coax connection. Have to clean it one in a while. Haven't had any salt issues with my 1k mag. Anywhere water can get in, salt will get in too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
The sirio performer or the turbo 5000 with the pl145 mag mount. Have used this setup for almost 2 years wirh a magnaforce 350hd 2 pill box, I use times microwave lmr240 and have not had an issue. It should hold up fine to the weather, with a mag mount you will have to do some almost daily maintenance with it under the magnet to get any moisture that might be trapped under it. Drilling a hole and using the upgrade coax that sirio offers wirh a sirio turbo or performer 5000 you could Run 600 watts all day. I am with others as far as 600 watts goes with a mag mount, it is really pushing the limit of the antenna system at that point, my amp does 250-350 watts and its plenty to get my name called when the conditions permit. It's not always about having more watts, I'd there's no conditions you can have 1000 watts and not get out. But to answer the main question the sirio is a Better made antenna than the new Wilson's IMO. My turbo 5000 has been through a lot, hitting many branches and it takes a lickin and keeps on ticking. The tip of my whip gets a little bent some times, no big deal, they are easy to straighten back out and unless you are running yours as high as mine (14-15ft) to the tip, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Hope this helps and God bless.

For a weak roof, make your self a backing plate of aluminum. It will help a bunch! I haven't drilled a hole in a long time, but the last one I did had a large plate for the antwnna to spread the weight out. Same thing with a backing plate. You preferably want to get the antenna on the roof, either center of the roof or about 1ft from the rear of the roof, the 2nd may make it a bit more directional.

Reactions: hotrod
For a weak roof, make your self a backing plate of aluminum. It will help a bunch! I haven't drilled a hole in a long time, but the last one I did had a large plate for the antwnna to spread the weight out. Same thing with a backing plate. You preferably want to get the antenna on the roof, either center of the roof or about 1ft from the rear of the roof, the 2nd may make it a bit more directional.

What would be the best mount to use with backing plate?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.