• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
  • Notice: You may not use this site to facilitate the unauthorized selling of copyrighted material including, but not limited to, in the public dxForums, dxGallery, dxChat and private messsages. If you get caught doing this, you will be permanently banned with no second chances. A notice will be placed on the site of why you were banned and any information collected by this site about you will be made known to the copyright holder.

Wire in an external PTT line to a CB radio

Xjeepguy

Oct 12, 2018
Anyone ever done it? I'm referring to like what would be the aux PTT line like in the back of an amateur rig . Let's use the 2950 or Stryker 955 for examples . Anyone ever do this ?

Xjeepguy

Oct 12, 2018
Just to key the radio?

or key an Amp?

what do you want it for?
I want an external PTT line to key a tube amplifier. I already have a ARB 704 Ameritron relay/buffer so would feed into that and that safely keys an amp.

Oct 27, 2020
Antioch, Illinois
Anyone ever done it? I'm referring to like what would be the aux PTT line like in the back of an amateur rig . Let's use the 2950 or Stryker 955 for examples . Anyone ever do this ?
I have and it worked out well for me. I have and older 2517 that I kinda Frankensteined with mods or improvements to my desire. With that large of a box and chassis I had plenty of room to experiment. All I did was I tapped into the microphone jack itself on the inside of the radio. I left everything the way it was stock but I just added one wire to the hot or ptt pin and one wire to the negative pin or what ever pin it is that it used for ptt on the mic jack. I drilled a hole on the rear of the radio and added a 1/4 phone jack. Then all I had to do was make or buy a momentary push button to use as a ptt switch. I even wired an xlr jack to the back of the radio so I could use a studio mic without all of the adapters. Both worked out well. The best part is you can still revert back to stock if you wanted to or just hook up the studio mic in the rear of the radio. But that also gives you an input to run rack gear into the rig to sound even better. People will say you shouldn't do that because it's not the proper way. For me it was an experiment that worked just fine. In the picture it shows I added the SEND jack which is the ptt. I also added the xlr jack and extended frequency coverage more than what is on the front of the radio.

Attachments

• IMG_20220222_203623351.jpg
    IMG_20220222_203623351.jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 4

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
I sell a pc board with a relay that uses the radio's internal "transmit-only" switched voltage to activate the relay. It has two outputs. How many users have two amplifiers in line to key this way? Enough of them asked to get the feature added. The relay has enough current/voltage rating on the contacts to key whatever amplifier you have direct, no keying box needed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1143644460...d=link&campid=5336136228&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

And if you want to just roll your own, I can probably dig up the schematic for anyone interested.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.