• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wiring up an Magnum XLF-20C Noise Filter

ctvanover

N/A
May 22, 2005
Archdale, NC 27263
I'm getting ready to run a hot wire from the battery through the firewall on my Silverado to power my Magnum S-9. I plan on using the Magnum XLF-20C CB Radio 6-16v DC Noise Filter. Where do I put the noise filter, out under the hood close to the battery or inside under the dash close to the radio?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank You
Buck

Do you know that you need a noise filter? If so I'd put it as close to the radio as possible and use grommets at the firewall.

I just looked it up and it looks like it has the radio connector already on it.

Close to the radio. It will tell you in the instructions as well. And as far a ground wire goes, keep it the same size as the power and keep runs as short as possible. Some say go to the battery with both leads, I use the other method , which is a short ground to the nearest good grounding point. Hope this helps and god bless.

Well I had the power run from the cig. lighter last time and it was like you could hear a high pitched whining in the background so I figured I'd try the noise filter. It can't hurt can it? What size wire would give me the voltage from the batt. through the firewall to the radio?

Like I said the last time I used the cig. lighter to power the radio and I could hear a high pitched whine in the background. Not like an alternator whine, if that makes any sense? So I'm gonna try it without the noise filter first straight from the battery and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

Close to the radio. It will tell you in the instructions as well. And as far a ground wire goes, keep it the same size as the power and keep runs as short as possible. Some say go to the battery with both leads, I use the other method , which is a short ground to the nearest good grounding point. Hope this helps and god bless.

Never ever go to the battery. The way you describe you do yours is the best and if you look at commercial VHF/UHF gear it all has just a short ground wire.

If you want some bedtime reading as to why...

Grounding Negative System

What I can never get my head around is the fact that Kenwood amateur radio gear has full length ground leads with fuses yet their commercial transceivers only have one about 8 inches long which is unfused.

The amateur gear seems to have more issues with noise from ground loops than the commercial stuff does.

The only conclusion I can come to for Kenwood doing what they do with the amateur gear is because of amateurs complaining when they tried to do it properly.

I could see why I guess, but in a mobile I would think the frame would be the best place. Or something that bolts to it. Like said and through reading and use, IMO, use the same gauge wire for ground and make it as short as possible. For amps, I use the seat to frame bolt and make sure to sand both the bolt and the metal under it, and for my radios, I have found the steering post steel plate screws work well. Positive wires all go to a fuse distribution block and then to the battery via a #2awg about a foot long. I use an 80 amp fuse at the distribution panel as I am not running super high power. But that's how I install my equipment, everyone doesn't do it the same, but the way I have always done it seems to work well for me. Thanks for the link, that was a good read. If you read that, you should be good to go on how to wire a proper system. God bless.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.