• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Workman M400 Starduster

My first antenna when I got back into CB again was a Workman M400 Starduster and it served me well for years in this deep narrow valley. I found out latter it was recommended for a valley because of the way it radiates the signal out. It worked well for years until water got inside and froze and split and then the critters got inside and made mud nests, then the SWR went to the devil. I replaced it with a Sirio M400 Star duster which I am presently running with equal success. I will say Sirio did put a weep hole in the bottom of their Star Duster to eliminate the water. Needless to say I cleaned out the original Star Duster, Closed it back up and drilled a weep hole in it so it is ready to ride again. I've heard bad talk about the Star Duster but you will never hear it from me. I also heard Rave Reviews of the Hygain SPT 500 Super Penetrator so I bought one to try. ( Copy version ) That one shorted out in the rain until I fixed the problem. (Pictures posted in this Forum if you do a search) Then it worked well. Needless to say I'm back to the Sirio M 400 Starduster and that is where I will stay ! Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a Sirio Star Duster on my garage station, 23 feet to the feed point. Works well, I talked to California and Puerto Rico not too long ago. Being a quarter wave, it is short and strong. I never worry about it in the wind like I do with my Sirio Vector 4k at the house.

Instead of the sheet metal screws to hold the radiator sections, I made a slit with a hack saw from the end down to the screw hole, then used hose clamps to hold it tight. Put some good anti seize (The kind with metal in it) in the radiator joints, take the coax socket out and goop the stud up with silicone dielectric grease to keep the water out of the coax. You will have no worries for decades I am sure.

Get them both if you can, this antenna is worth having.

Thanks, I appreciate all the replies, really helps a lot fellas! I'll just get them both for the price I'm paying. @whiteastro where approximately is the weep hole, it's probably a good idea for me to get ahead of the situation before the trouble comes into play. @Shadetree Mechanic your idea of slicing and then clamping sounds better than the sheet metal screws, kind of like the v58 and other aluminum antennas I've had in the past. Not sure if the workman has that same method but will find out. Heck yeah, I'm excited now! The winds here kill antenna too much so maybe the lower profile will hold up better. I'm currently using an old pt99 that's been the interim use antenna when the others bite the dust m, the pt99 works ok enough to get me by but not at the level needed.

I have the sirio version but I can’t put it together because I don’t understand the metric bullshit!!!
Try using the Metric to SAE conversion tables or factors to change the measurement to something we understand better. That's what I do when I deal with the problem. I copy the directions with my copier and manually change the dimensions before I even start.

Try using the Metric to SAE conversion tables or factors to change the measurement to something we understand better. That's what I do when I deal with the problem. I copy the directions with my copier and manually change the dimensions before I even start.
I went to Harbor Freight and bought a metric tape measure.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a metric tape measure.
I'm grinning, I have them too, more than one of coarse, but I'm a old stubborn die-hard and they can stick metric where the sun don't shine. LOL A life time of mechanicing and I probably got almost as many tool boxes in my garage as Harbor Freight. I started buying from them in the mid 70s before they had stores. All catalog.

I have the sirio version but I can’t put it together because I don’t understand the metric bullshit!!!
Hey Undertaker, take a look at the metric calculator to inches link I posted above, and you'll be working on that antenna in no time.

IMHO, a really good choice if you can get it 36' to the hub or higher. https://www.sirioantenne.it/en/products/hf/starduster-m-400

Put some of this stuff inside the coax connector and I find it does a good job of keeping water without dissolving over several years on some of my antennas.
I would also slot the tubing inline with the screw holes and use good SS hose clamps. Don't forget a little Stuf on the tubing overlap area. A little Stuf goes a long way.

Good Luck,

Eddie

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated