• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Workman W 58

CHAINSAW

May 9, 2012
Ok I have seen other posts on here about this antenna and the Maco V 58 and it looks like others have had the same issue.
I cannot get my SWR on Ch.1 it is 1.7:1 and Ch. 40 its 2.9:1 and gets worse with modulation.
Now I double, triple, quadruple, checked my assembly my coax, my radio, everything with an ohm meter and everything is perfect except for the actual antenna itself..... When I put the ohm meter on the SO-239 coax connector, its a dead short! So I looked closer at the construction of the antenna and the adjustment ring. It is not insulated the ring actaully makes the short with the wire from the SO-239 connector. Now I am not a radio or antenna expert at all but from what I know....it can't work this way can it????
Anyone know the "fix" to this problem with this antenna???

It is most likely the matching network you are ohming out. It will be shorted.

Few of the members use the same antenna and will probably post on how to tune it. I am not familiar with that antenna.

good luck.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes it will show a short. That is natural with this type of tuning system. My Maco does the same thing. Mine tuned right up right away, not sure on the Workman instructions but with the Maco instructions tuning was easy.

So questions.

1) Where is the antenna when you are tuning it? Is it in its final position or elsewhere before being moved there?

2) Is there anything near it, say within 25 feet? Especially but not limited to metal items.

3) Not sure how the workman version of the instructions are worded, are you aware that you can tune it by adjusting the overall length as well as the tuning ring?

4) Would you post your SWR readings on 1, 19, and 40 as this may help us further?

The DB

Reactions: 1 person
Multimeters are not the best tool to use for antenna work. That which is a "short" at DC will look a lot more reasonable when RF of the proper frequency is applied. Get a copy of a decent antenna manual, and read it carefully. That will save your sanity and hairline both...:whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.