• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WTB

Homebrew linear? (n) Which one? :confused: Oh my...I had a couple threads a long time ago about building one but they both were set aside because of a change of plans. If you meant the pair of 4CX250B's for 2m, not going to happen. At least for a while. Looking at using some MRF151G's that I have on hand. In any event an amp for 2m is a long way down the road. If you meant the four x 572B amp that, was nixed before it got much past the planning stage. If you meant the Larcan television module for 6m, well it is working and makes an easy 1000 watts out with about 7 watts of drive but needs to have RF switching added and metering added as well. I had to change plans yet again because I decided the cabinet it was going to go into was better suited for an HF amp. The past two years have been extremely busy for me for a variety of reasons and things just never seemed to get finished. On that note however the 6m Larcan amp will see action on the air next Es season in the spring, the 2m amp is delayed indefinitely pending a switch to solid state and becoming a very low priority (I need my 2m yagis installed first anyway) and the HF amp WILL be started later this fall/winter however it is of a completely different design than anything I have mentioned here before. Since I want to have all my ducks in a row before I get started and document things as I go I will not reveal my plans for it yet however I will say it uses a single tube and is quite capable of loafing along at my Canadian legal limit of 2250 watts pep. :)
I thought you had a and old broadcast amp posted for a while that was the one I was asking about ...I let one past me buy years back but just did not have the room sorry I did now .
I will have to settle with a pair of 813`s and have a single hole henry ...Plz keep us to date on your single tube amp build l like the home brew equipment !!!.
Murray
Summerland
B.C

Oh...OK. The RCA broadcast TRANSMITTER. There was a thread on that but you must have missed the final entry. The TX had some bad modulator issues when I got it. Long story short, while working on it one day there was one hell of a BANG when something in the modulator stage failed causing 3200 volts to back-feed straight back to the 2E26 audio drivers. They were toast and so was the modulation reactor and at least one of the 4-400 modulator tubes and one RF amp 4-400 tube as well as lots of small stuff. It was basically far to expensive too repair at that point so it became a parts donor for a future HF amp project.

Wow, I missed the ending to that too. what colour was your shorts after??

Don't know as I never found them. :eek: You want the scoop on what happened? It's a real heart stopper. The transmitter was running at 800 watts carrier plus applied modulation from an audio signal generator. I had a Gates limiter/amplifier sitting on the floor and turned my back to the transmitter and bent over to pick it up. As I bent over my butt just touched the cabinet as old hell broke loose inside the TX. I almost had a heart attack right then and there on the spot. Big BANG!! followed by lots of yelling and some cursing and gasping for breath. Then the wife had the audacity to yell down to the basement and ask if everything was alright. Yeah right.......I think she was just afraid she may have to do CPR on me. Thus ended my prospect of putting a broadcast TX on 80m.

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.