• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WTF BBI...400 watts into a l4b?

Had a guy bring a Heath SB-220 down from Cincinnati to get "beefed up" for AM hotrodding. Would take about 200 Watt peaks to get 2kW PEP out of it.

Then he said it was time to bring in his driver from the car to try. Turns out to have eight 8950 tubes in it. I insisted on getting paid for the job BEFORE trying it out.

Saw an actual 3500 Watts peak coming out of it. He was happy, and took it home. Heard later that it lasted a week running it that way.

Can't explain how it possibly survived that long.

I kept waiting for that Stock(?) power supply to go down in flames!...
Also might have been he did not check the calibration on the B+ meter circuit that was only showing about 2500VDC(if that much) with no load...I kept wondering when the caps or diodes were going to go FIZZ, when he tried to dump 400w to her and get more than the 2500 PEP "HIS" meters were showing when driven with 200w+!!!!
Good Bye to that set of Eimac's...What a waste!
Not to mention the input circuit network coil and caps!
I would not trust that Jackson Ball drive for long either...Interesting he did not know what that was either, not to mention how he thought he fixed it by simply crimping down the outer shroud holding tabs?...I really question that "fix"!
Also the HI/LO B+ and ON/OFF buttons had been modified with an additional relay... (so not stock)...Most likely due to previous switch failure...an even those were mounted in there "cock eyed".
What a waste of a good amp...A little more GOOD work and that would have been a descent piece.
I just kept wondering why he never did show the inside of the power supply.
I am guessing there were some "things" there he did not want anyone to see on camera.
The bias circuit was not long for this world either abusing that on AM like he was.
Shame would have made a good piece of equipment if rebuilt by a Good Mechanic.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
BBI guys Big Blundering Idiot.
Sometimes his videos are amusing but mostly just a downright disgrace
I especially liked the one where he bypassed the fuses to get more power.
I hope he told the amp owner that fuses were not effective anymore. He put some real FIRE in that box.
Also he was spraying "lubricant" and now the clutch is slipping? I'll bet he uses starter fluid to put out carburetor fires.

Reactions: Robb and wavrider
I especially liked the one where he bypassed the fuses to get more power.
I hope he told the amp owner that fuses were not effective anymore. He put some real FIRE in that box.
Also he was spraying "lubricant" and now the clutch is slipping? I'll bet he uses starter fluid to put out carburetor fires.

Well the best way to put out a carburetor fire is to just keep cranking the engine! Well that is what every pilot is trained to do on piston powered light aviation aircraft. That is what I do on carburetor equipped car's too! Really the timing needs to be checked if you have carb fire!

Yes I too cringe when I see some of these knuckleheads over driving or over volting the snot out of transistor and tube amplifiers.

I am not a believer in padding an amp's input to allow the use of a more powerful radio! Turn the radio's power down permanently to match the drive needed by the amplifier. The alternative is to get a bigger amp that needs more input drive.

You will never ever see me put more power in per device than what the manufactures data sheet recommends! Same thing applies for voltage and biasing!

I once saw a child in diapers chewing on a lead tire weight! I imagine these guys where those kids! LOL

There was nothing wrong with the Jackson ball drive other than it needed some fresh thick tacky grease applied. Some things need a light oil some need a thick tacky grease. Now what you need. I did laugh at his cosmoline joke. I am allergic to man made sulfur compounds especially sulfites! The sulfur compounds used in cosmoline and gear lube give me an allergic reaction as does sulfites used int he USA to preserve and kill fermentation in wines. You also see cheap cutting fluids loaded with sulfur compounds. So I have to take allergy medicine when I go tool or gun shopping! I have to clean the new tools with solvent which growing up was a "no-no" then I re-lube.

Well the best way to put out a carburetor fire is to just keep cranking the engine! Well that is what every pilot is trained to do on piston powered light aviation aircraft. That is what I do on carburetor equipped car's too! Really the timing needs to be checked if you have carb fire!
Yep. I know the bit about keeping the engine cranking with a carb fire caused by a back fire.. I just mentioned what a DA the guy was for bypassing the fuses and that he would try to put out a carb fire with starting fluid. "Fuses? We don't need no stinking fuses!"

Two 3-500b's should loaf along at 1200 watts (with the amps rated input of 100 watts.)
It amazes me that so many don't understand 2x 1200 will make no difference on the other end. I wouldn't drive that amp with a watt over 80 (that's just me.) There's just no point!
I admit to knowing less than any member of this site. But I do know driving 2 3-500b's with 400 watts or 200 for that matter doesn't prove the tubes are 100%. Or even 60% for that matter. That's what a tube tester is for. Back to my point on output (for those who don't know or don't care.)
4x your current output will give you one (1) s-unit gain on the other end.
2400 watts will do one thing and one thing only. And that's show 2400 watts (on your meter) as opposed to 1200.
BBI like most golden screwdrivers use technical terminology to make those who (like myself) aren't able to work on equipment for lack of knowledge and ability, in order to convince them he knows what he's doing. IMO he's little more than a golden screwdriver.
When I see someone post one of his clips then have people with true knowledge critique his "work", it just brings to light BBI is exactly what I claim him to be. A golden screwdriver period end of story. Even if he's not a golden screwdriver he's little more than a tinkerer of radio gear. There's nothing wrong with being a tinkerer as long as you're tinkering on your own equipment and not charging others to do so on there items. Who was the teacher he stopped his recording for in order to answer the phone call? I have a feeling it might have been that snake radio customs guy? He's a technician in his own mind and only in his own mind. The world according to BBI. It's sad to see such a terrific piece of equipment in the hands of a total hack!
Unbelievable! And sad at the same time. I truly believe whomever purchases that amplifier will have nothing but problem after problem after problem with it.

why the heck the amp is on and he is trying to tighten a bolt by the circuit. 5,000 watts will kill you

Not sure what he touched but it could have been a primary lead from the transformer. There is NO way an SB-220 will make 5000 watts and even if it could 5000 watts will not kill you. I have taken 10,000 watts before from an AM broadcast transmitter and it hurt like hell and literally fried the skin on my fingers but that was it. RF tends to fry and burn (hence the term RF burn) more so than electrocute up to a limit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.