• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Xiegu G90 (repost in own thread)

Dang you Mudfoot. You are making it harder for me to put off..... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I bet you'd be happy with it. It sure looks like the developers are very receptive with user input. So far, the upcoming additions are just want I wanted. I believe 1.7 will include bandwidth adjustment right from the face.

Xiegu looks here to stay. I bet they eventually come out with something 100 watt related that will be for everyone.

Reactions: TheRATT
Xiegu looks here to stay. .

I bought my Xiegu X1M back in 2014. Since then, they have released a number of other radios and an amplifier. The G90 is the one that is getting a lot of attention, because it offers a lot for the price/size.
My old X1M was an interesting QRP rig that could actually fit in the pocket of cargo pants. The G1M is basically an upgraded model, but for the difference in price, the G90 is the radio worth getting. (Although I am tempted to grab a G1M just for giggles, since I used the old X1M on Field Day 2015 and made contacts on >5 watts/battery power).
I think Xiegu will continue to be around for a while.

Reactions: Mudfoot
New FW version has just been released. RF gain is added, AM output power has been addressed. Band stacking added. NB has been optimized, but they deactivated it on AM. Bunch of other additions and fixes as well. Just getting ready to apply update.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
1.71 build002

Note:
Keep the same version on both DispUnit and MainUnit

New Features:
1.RF GAIN
Long press "AGC" key to access.Rotate main knob to change its value.
Note:"RF GAIN" won't affect the S-Meter and FFT Scale.
2.TS behavior is changed(from left to right)
3.DSP filter Center/Bandwidth mode
Short press USER-Knob(the bottom-left one):
Select filter center->Select filter bandwidth->Select USER-define->Loop back
When f-center is selected:Title will be "Cxxx"("xxx" is the center freq);a vertical green line showed up at
the middle of the orange area
When f-bandwidth is selected:Title will be "Bxxx"("xxx" is the bandwidth);two vertical green lines showed up
at the both sides of the orange area
4.Reset to factory settings
Press and hold "FUNC" key and turning the rig on to get access.
Press "PRE" key to confirm;press "VM" key to cancel
5.Main ref-clock fine tuning
Long press "FUNC" key and entering system menu,at item "7.RCLK Tune:"
If this parameter is messed up,just set it to "0",it neither damage the rig nor degrade the performance
6.Band stack mode
Long press "FUNC" key and entering system menu,at item "8.Band Stack Mode:"
it can be set as:HAM Band;Full Band
7.Power ON/OFF beeping
Long press "FUNC" key and entering system menu,at item "9.ON/OFF Beep:"
it can be set as:Disable;Enable
8.FFT averaging
2nd function of "LOCK" key,range can be in 1~10

Fixing and Optimization:
1.RX audio distortion caused by AGC;also AGC time constant is more longer(approximately,100ms@fast;1000ms@slow)
2.Cant power off when FFT Scale is too small
3.The DSP-filter icon sometimes don't draw correctly
4.2nd function menu behavior(menu or title at the multiple function display area):
Main display(DSP-filter icon)->2nd function title1->2nd function title 2->...2nd function title n->Loop back
5.Optimized NB algorithm(by the way,NB is not avaliable any more in AM mode in this version)
6.FFT SCALE can be saved at each band
7.Optimized APC algorithm
8.Optimized High SWR protection algorithm
9.Optimized RF output power detect algorithm(more accurate)
10.AM TX output power is down to 1/4 of the set power
11.Optimized voice comp algorithm

There are 3 G90 Facebook groups. Each one has a Xiegu engineer as a member. Lots of people are having issues with firmware updating. As I see it, it's mostly operator error. The FW updating scheme is using 40 year old Xmodem uploading software. The latest update makes this radio a 8 of 10 for me.

got a message from a buddy here locally he said he checked on the site that had that for 85 dollars and he said it was a scam,, people getting nothing so red flag on that one,,,,,,

Reactions: Mudfoot
I did the FW update to 1.71 yesterday on my G90...no issues.
I updated the main body unit (xceiver) first, and then did the display unit (remote head). I agree that those having issues are probably experiencing operator error.

I find the update to be pretty good. Seems that all the new features are a nice addition to the radio, and the fixes are welcomed. Let’s hope that Xiegu continues improving this radio. It seems to be gaining interest in the ham community, as I know of two other hams in my area who bought them.

I dumped Facebook over a year ago (and never going back to that evil, anti-American service), so I have to get my info from the GroupsIO group and here. I wish everyone would cancel their Facebook and Twitter accounts, so information could be disseminated equitably and fairly. Guess I can only wish.

Reactions: TheRATT and Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?