• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu 101E/Dentron Clipperton-L

Cajun Invader

Membership Moderator
Oct 13, 2008
I am seriously considering purchasing a Yaesu 101E. I was wondering how that would match up with my Dentron Clipperton-L?

I know the Clipperton performes well with a 50 watt carrier. Will the Yaesu be able to provide that on 10 meters without causing damage to the tubes?

I have heard that some older HF radios did not perform well on AM with a high carrier, they were meant for SSB and using them on AM with a carrier higher than 20 watts would cause the tubes life to be dramatically shortened.

Does anyone know about this particular radio?

I seriously doubt if you'll over drive that Dentron with an FT-101E. I would really suggest that you get a manual for that '101, you will need it. You'll also need to pay attention to tuning the thing on AM.
I think you may have to change how you think about tuning an amplifier too. They can't tell carrier from 'swing', only how much power it's being driven with. It sure wouldn't be hard for me to misunderstand what/how you think about that, so if I'm wrong about it, forget it. At any rate, I would be very conservative with both the '101 and the amplifier. At the very least, till you get a 'feel' for them working together. When they say only so much plate/grid current, they really mean it.
- 'Doc

I seriously doubt if you'll over drive that Dentron with an FT-101E. - 'Doc

I'm not concerned with overdriving the Clipperton. My concern is with the radio and using it on am with a high carrier. The tubes I'm talking about are in the radio.

The most common mistake is running too much carrier power in AM mode. The FT-101 can only deliver 30-40 watts of AM carrier in linear service. The reason for this is that an AM signal contains a steady carrier and two sidebands that contain your audio. The amount of RF power in this modulated AM "envelope" is actually 4-times the carrier. This means that a modulated AM signal with a 30-watt carrier is actually transmitting 120 watts of power. This is the amount of power needed from the power supply to transmit this signal. It is also approaching its absolute power limit. The same is true with the matching FL-2100B amplifier. A 300-watt carrier contains 1200 watts of RF power when fully modulated. There is nothing worse than "cooking" a FT-101 by running AM with a 100 watt carrier. The power supply, tubes, and amplifier components cannot deliver 400 watts of power, are run continuously beyond their maximum rating, and for long periods of time. Beware when purchasing one of these 11 meter 'cooked' radios!
Yaesu FT-101 HF Transceiver Home Page, NW2M

Cajun....
I don't know much about the 101's, but I do know a couple guys around here that have them.

What I do know is.....the guys that have them, love them and wouldn't run anything else.
The other thing is.....the first accessory they got right after getting the radio was the digital read-out for the VFO. Unless you are good at zero beating another station's signal, the digital read-out is real handy......

And another must for a 101 series is the AM Filter. You rarely find a 101 with that filter included and they are darn hard to find.

These rigs without the filter is similar to sideband. Without the filter the AM bandwidth is very narrow. You'll be fine tuning every station in. If the other guy is just 1khz off he'll be garbled.

Used to have a 101EX in the '70's

Good luck

I am seriously considering purchasing a Yaesu 101E. I was wondering how that would match up with my Dentron Clipperton-L?

I know the Clipperton performes well with a 50 watt carrier. Will the Yaesu be able to provide that on 10 meters without causing damage to the tubes?

I have heard that some older HF radios did not perform well on AM with a high carrier, they were meant for SSB and using them on AM with a carrier higher than 20 watts would cause the tubes life to be dramatically shortened.

Does anyone know about this particular radio?

I had 2 FT-101EE ( wish i still had em! ) and you are going to love the way they not only receive but how good they sound to others! I got more complements with those radios than any other radio i have ever owned,and God knows i have had a bunch! Just keep to carrier to no more than 30 watts and you will never have a problem with it on AM but be warned. The tubes for these can be high so take care not to blow one. Also. There are not many qualified people that i could find who would work on these old radios so that should be something else you should think about. The one guy that i found in South Carolina would but he wanted....i think,$60.00 + an hour to do so, he specialized in Yaesu both old and new.

I used a non amplified D-104 with mine and got nothing but out standing AM reports as well as SSB. If you have ever heard a old Johnson tube transmitter on AM then that's what your Yaesu will sound like on AM as well. Your going to love it!

They are no doubt an excellent radio. I have an FT-101B . But for the purpose of needing a 50w carrier they wouldn't work well without, as you say, damaging the tubes .

If you're really going to use it for 10M AM, you won't have much company.

FM for repeaters and USB is pretty much it.

Good luck anyway.

If you're really going to use it for 10M AM, you won't have much company.

FM for repeaters and USB is pretty much it.

Good luck anyway.

That's what I was afaid of with the 10 Meter. I guess it's going to be more of a SSB rig if I do get it.

I'm not interested in 11 meter at the moment.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.