• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-101E ?

Amateurs had 11m as a tertiary allocation so they were really far down the list. Land mobile and ISM we4e primary and secondary users respectively.

The Russian Woodpecker was all over the HF spectrum and did get as high as 11m when the band was open. I left 11m back in the early to mid 80's myself. I was never a CBer so to say but rather an 11m SSB DX operator and avoided the regular 40 channels like the plague that it was. LOL

Reactions: NZ8N
[QUOTE="Captain Kilowatt, post: 525032, . I was never a CBer so to say but rather an 11m SSB DX operator and avoided the regular 40 channels like the plague that it was. LOL[/QUOTE]

(n)(n)(n)

Old bootlegger Freebander?

Many of us got hooked on the 11 meter DX SSB and moved on to get our License.

The deciding factor for me was all the QRM on 11 meters .

But I still enjoy 11 meter SSB dx, Guess one never forgets where they come from.

(n)(n)(n)

Old bootlegger Freebander?

No. Not old at all. :p Well 52 is the new 25 isn't it? ;)[/QUOTE]

Same age as me CK, on a good night I am 19, but the back let's me know the next morning I am not that young any more.

I meant old boot leg freebander when a quad antenna and 12 watts would let you work the world without all the high power QRMer's of today.

Only antenna I could afford to build was that home brew quad when I was a teenager, used old 4x4's and 2x4's reclaimed from constructions sites to build a tilt over tower, my mother hated it but she allowed it, she put her foot down when I tried to put a mag mount mobile on top of the grain bin.

No. Not old at all. :p Well 52 is the new 25 isn't it? ;)

Same age as me CK, on a good night I am 19, but the back let's me know the next morning I am not that young any more.

I meant old boot leg freebander when a quad antenna and 12 watts would let you work the world without all the high power QRMer's of today.

Only antenna I could afford to build was that home brew quad when I was a teenager, used old 4x4's and 2x4's reclaimed from constructions sites to build a tilt over tower, my mother hated it but she allowed it, she put her foot down when I tried to put a mag mount mobile on top of the grain bin.

I knew exactly what you meant but just thought I would deny the being old part while glossing over the bootleg/freebander part. ;) I got started in the late 70's, 1977 I think. Got hooked on DX almost immediately and my first DX QSL cards came from Greenland and South Africa. talk about opposites ends of the earth. LOLI had a Wilson Shooting Star at 40 feet but about 270 degrees of my horizon was wide open except to the WNW around to the NNE which was blocked bad. Back then I could work Europe with 12 watts and stand there with the best of them. With 100 watts and the beam I was king of the hill. LOL

I know what you mean.

Grew up In Illinois farm land, mostly flat and that old rickety 20' tower ( i was proud of it, Dad said it looked like fire wood) with that quad got out pretty good, first qsl card was from S America and I was surprised I got it.
Old Sears roadtalker radio and of course with some help of an Elmer I opened the PLL up for the Illegal channels as He used to call them.

The later models of the E EE and EX had the AUX but if you put an 11 meter crystal in it it wouldn't Transmit. There is a section in the manual how to make it work. While I'm on here does anyone know how the 25hz and 100hz switch works or how to make them work? I thought it was to calibrate the frequency YC-601 counter but mine does nothing. Thanks in advance for any help.

The later models of the E EE and EX had the AUX but if you put an 11 meter crystal in it it wouldn't Transmit. There is a section in the manual how to make it work. While I'm on here does anyone know how the 25hz and 100hz switch works or how to make them work? I thought it was to calibrate the frequency YC-601 counter but mine does nothing. Thanks in advance for any help.
The crystal may be out, but I would check the Fox Tango site FAQ's or search the archives. Neat thing about these rigs is everything was on cards, like PCI stuff in a desktop. Sometimes all it takes is cleaning the contacts and reseating a board to make it work again.

Brett

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
I have the FL-2100B as well. The rig sounds surprisingly good on ssb with a D104 or Turner Plus 3. I do not have the wide AM filter, so receive can be harsh with a strong signal, but transmit is fine. Thanks for the compliment on the rig.

Brett

Put the AM filter in it & it works on both transmit & receive & makes a huge difference on AM.I have an FT-101B without the AM Filter & it is NOT even an OK AM transceiver but I also have the FT-101EX with the AM filter & it's a great AM transceiver.Both have a full set of crystals.I see that there are more than one version of the FT-101EX as well because some have a 11 meter position as mine does & some do not on the band switch.Also there is a brown wire on the band switch for the 11 meter position & if it's not cut it will NOT transmit on 11 meters just receive.Somebody did not know that when they added the 11 meter crystal to mine because they put the 11 meter crystal on the 10B position on the band switch I'm guessing because they did not cut that brown wire.I use an amplified TUG9 with a bottom push bar on it with both of my FT-101 rigs & I get great audio reports.I only use them as goofing around radios & usually only use them on my Antron 99 at just 30ft.

SIX-SHOOTER

Thats good news, you can use it on 11 meter since the equipment is grandfathered in prior to change. :)

It's NOT legal on 11 meters in the USA.It exceeds power ratings & band coverage but still legal on any other band you can get into it including the WARC Bands with a few mods.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: 2RT307
Why would want to use such a great radio on 11meter AM go buy a Cobra 29 or something like that. My EX has an AUX not 11 meter on the selector switch, making it a late model I did install the processor for the audio all the locals on 10 meters said it sounds better with it off oh well just a waste of time, I also installed the correct fan so the only thing that my radio doesn't have compaired to the E or EE is the power supply for 12v on the back. Could you imagine using that radio in a car or truck LOL.

I did install the processor for the audio
The processor is not for local talking, it is best used when working distant stations and will help carry your audio over the noise. On my 101ZD I run the compressor at the 3 o'clock position and I watch the ALC meter so that it barely moves. If there are a lot of stations on the band I will turn the drive up a little to get the ALC meter to the middle of the green scale.

I have just acquired a few FT-101's and have now read everything I could find on them short of the foxtango news letters.

IMG_20170927_224826.jpg

In coming across this thread I found the need to farther explain some of the information given here as answers.

I can't figure out is why my "E" model has 11 meters. It isn't modified (or appear to be), and 11 meters is labeled on the rig.

If your 101 is from outside the USA it might of in fact came from the factory with 11 meter TX intact. I know my step fathers FT-101B came back with him from a Australia trip and always had 11 meter transmit intact.

There seems to be a current widespread misconception that any 101 that has 11 meter transmit had some slick crystal change and fancy wiring, for most of the 101's this would be completely unnecessary.

If you have a type "A" selector
type a.jpg

and only have 27,000 to 27,500 the mod to achieve this was as simple as making a AL-811 work on 10 meters. (cut or remove the "Green wire") only in the FT-101 case its cut or remove the "Brown wire"

the brown wire.jpg

The ground end of this brown wire moved 3 times that I have seen in the TYPE A production, but the end circled with a yellow ring in the above photo is always the same place.

Note: about the first 8 years of the 101 had the TYPE "A" SELECTOR

Now to explain the last 2 years:

The FCC found out how easy it was to access 11 meter transmit on this rig and insisted that the 33.020 crystal be removed, that the band locations were to be changed on the band selector, that the aux slot was not a easy mod to make TX.
type b.jpg
and this produced the TYPE "B" SELECTOR

More than likely someone replaced some crystals in the 10 meter slots in yours and did some fancy wiring to get it to transmit on 11 meters. Enjoy it unless the conversion rendered some of your 10 meters inoperable.

@BBB is absolutely correct if you have multiple 11 meter selections on the band selector or if you have the TYPE "B" SELECTOR

The most common 11 meter mod for the type b is removing 3 of the 10 meter crystals and installing
32.520 for 26.500 to 27.000
33.020 for 27.000 to 27.500
33.520 for 27.500 to 28.000
no wiring modifications needed.

PLEASE NOTE:
I do not condone the use of HF rigs on CB bands but I loathe and detest the needless destruction and molestation of great radios! Some of the hacked up 101's I have seen when I was looking for the ones I have now would make most hams sick.

Good info, Tib. I sold mine a while back, but it did have the 11 meter selection on the rig, and only covered 27-27.5 as you mentioned.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated