• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-101F Conversion too 11 Meters.. Any ideas?

High Miler

May 30, 2005
Pennsylvania
Within the next 5 days I may have a potential new toy on the way and was wondering if anyone knew the conversion for 11 meters.. Whether it was just a crystal insert OR if there was something else that more directly needed to be done.

Thanks much.

High Miler said:
Within the next 5 days I may have a potential new toy on the way and was wondering if anyone knew the conversion for 11 meters.. Whether it was just a crystal insert OR if there was something else that more directly needed to be done.

Thanks much.

I did one back in the 80's. Best I remember they make a crystal set that you put in the open positions on the selector switch.

I have an F model that I was trying to tune up on 10 meters and could not find the 10m freq that I was xmiting on, turned out to have 11m crystals ! I put 10m crystals in and it works. The only wierd thing is that I can only get 15 watts out on SSB. It is for sale.

parkair said:
I have an F model that I was trying to tune up on 10 meters and could not find the 10m freq that I was xmiting on, turned out to have 11m crystals ! I put 10m crystals in and it works. The only wierd thing is that I can only get 15 watts out on SSB. It is for sale.

How much?

Converting the "F" is the same as for the late (post-1978) "E" versions of the radio.

Hijacking one or more of the four 10-meter band positions is the only sane method to convert it for 11 meters.

The band crystals are the same as for prior FT-101 radios:

32.020 MHz covers 26.0-26.5
32.520 26.5-27
33.020 27.0-27.5
33.520 27.5-28

The band crystals are located in the same spots as for the later "E" radios, the ones that don't come with the 11 meter band marked on the front panel. With the top cover removed, looking down inside the radio with the front panel towards you the band-select crystals are in two rows of sockets beneath the Load and mike gain/carrier controls at the far right, just behind the front panel. The 10C (29.0) and 10D (29.5) bands are the rear-most two crystals on the left half of the socket array. 10C is rear-most and the next crystal towards the front is 10D. These two tend to be the least-used segments of 10 meters, and tend to get replaced with 27.0 and 27.5. Folks who legitimately use 28 and 28.5 bands will leave those two crystals where they are, the two front-most crystals on the right side of the band-crystal socket array.

Typically, you'll need to realign the radio to get decent performance on 11 meters, but this will seldom require more than just the trimmer cap on each new crystal, and the 10-meter adjustments only. The lower ham bands tend not to be disturbed too much by doing it that way.

What I really want to see is a one-piece, drop-in socket adapter to put 6146 tubes in that radio. It would be a real step down in power, but if the adapter is short enough, it would all fit, maybe. What baffles me is fabricating twelve pins on the bottom of it, that match the original tubes' pins and engage the old socket securely. Since the 6146 was used for military and industrial markets, it's taken longer for them to empty out of the pipeline.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.