• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-840

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Is there a filter for sideband for these rigs??? Also I found fm boards for this rig for $40.00 shipped. Is this a good deal??? I am gonna look for power tune ups also on this Rig to see what there capable of actually putting out> I was told they were Limited so I want to find info on them.. Thanks Tony

yes there is a ssb filter for the 840 most of our uk models came with the am, ssb, and cw filter, some had the fm board fitted too, they will do about 160w turned up full but its a bad idea as the transistors are expensive and the pa block is small and prone to dry joints if you work em too hard.

ok i figured they were capable of atleast 150 watts. I have no need to turn this radio up an external amplifier. I cant see running the radio that hard if ran with a low drive amp or high drive you would hardly be workin the radio. I cant find the ssb filters and is 40 dollars shipped for the fm board a good deal??

if i could buy fm boards for 40 bucks over here i would get a half dozen of them and make some money on ebay, i would be surprised if your 840 does not have the ssb filter installed as standard, what makes you think it is missing???.

well bob i have an am filter box and the tcxo stabalizing boar box thats it and i was wondering if that ssb filter would clean up my recieve???? My Kenwood 440 was awsome on TX and RX this yaesu 840 is noisey on RX static is sometimes pretty bad. Im thinkin about that fm board theres only 2 left i guess
so i better decide fast

no its a sideband filter i cant find. I found an FM board so I ll have FM if I want. I am gonna have to look for a ssb filter.

i have never seen a 840 come without a ssb filter the am filter was optional and the tcxo was optional but the basic radio came with cw and ssb filter as standard in the uk, if its real noisy on rx somebody could have been in and turned the if gain vr up, this is something i have come across before on the 840 and 747's, boneheads turn them all the way up because they dont like the fact that the s meter is stingy compared to a cb this screws the noise level up bigtime, the reciever becomes real noisy to listen to, they aint got a clue what they are turning but hey your giving me 60db good buddy, its worth checking out, good luck with it.

LMAO good buddy what am I givin ya??? 10 -4 Roger over and out cause my friends say since iI had my fingers in my HF rig Im gettin uuuuuup!!!. LOL Well you may be right I dont see any available ssb filters on the net. I bet they are there in the radio already I think Im gonna buy that FM board for $40.00 if thats decent I seee there normally double that.

I had the FT-840 a long time ago and it worked great, I could turn it up to 150 but it REALLY got hot!
I left it at 100 and had great results with the radio, the FM board is great for 10 meter FM. As for the noisy rx on SSB I never had that problem ,maybe you have something in your area that makes noise.

The 840 is a great starter HF rig,,,, there is a switch inside the radio that will allow you to switch to low power also, you know,,,,,,,for that AM amp ;)

FM boards on its way now whoes gonna be so kind as to tell me where it goes to save me the hassle of lookin around when i open the cover???? lol

tony when your fm board arrives look at the edge connectors on it and look inside the radio theres only one place in there with a row of pins that you could plug it onto :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio