• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu ft 891 portable on 12v

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
Any one run the Yaesu ft 891 on a lead acid battery for portable I have a big deep cycle But I want to know how the radio behaves when the voltage sags down to 11.5v i know a lot of the radios are more happy at 13.8 I have seen and had some radios just not like running at 12v they start acting funky ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My end game is to use a some thing from bioennopower like a 12V, 12Ah LFP Battery and switch betwen two of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudfoot

I think its not a great idea,seems like when you took your test its in the questions

i know about the 13.8 +/- 15% on the paper work what i am asking is real life use things are not always the same as whats on paper.
it tells you that it draws 2 amps on RX the tests people have done show 1 amp
i was asking for real world not what was on the paper work...
well i ordered the FT-891 it will be here in a few days...

maybe next year or 2 ill oder the bioennopower like a 12V, 20Ah after i save up..

https://www.bioennopower.com/products/12v-20ah-lfp-battery-pvc-blf-1220a people are saying they work grate and there useing them on that radio..

Reactions: Rwb
i know about the 13.8 +/- 15% on the paper work what i am asking is real life use things are not always the same as whats on paper.
it tells you that it draws 2 amps on RX the tests people have done show 1 amp
i was asking for real world not what was on the paper work...
well i ordered the FT-891 it will be here in a few days...

maybe next year or 2 ill oder the bioennopower like a 12V, 20Ah after i save up..

https://www.bioennopower.com/products/12v-20ah-lfp-battery-pvc-blf-1220a people are saying they work grate and there useing them on that radio..

Those current specs are typically worst case conditions and for the RX are typically done at 100% modulation and full output from the speaker which will tend to increase figures to pretty near spec however nobody generally runs the volume wide open at that level.

Reactions: Rwb and KD2GOE
http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=battery-boost&navcode=/fpBoost

When the voltage from a battery drops, the Super Booster brings it up to a level that allows for optimal transmit. The output level can be set by a trimmer pot to any value up to 15V. The advantage of using the Super Booster is that a Lead Acid battery is rated in Amp-Hours for use down to 10.5V. However, radios require at least 11.7V to transmit. That results in over one-third of amp-hours in the battery that cannot be used for transmitting without a booster.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.