• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT101 Board construction differences

Walkin' the dog
Sep 12, 2009
Chilliwack, BC
www.youtube.com
I'm noticing some boards of the same part number use different materials and techniques.
I have a 101B with all the same boards as the 101E but the color and solder side are totally different.
Some are shiny copper on the front and dark green on the back.
Some are tinned and have a acid etched like effect on the solder side. (until you've been working on it)
and are light olive.

Was there a period of boards that were "the best"?

2015094.jpg
2015097.jpg
2015095.jpg
2015096.jpg

I don't know which is the best but just by looking st what you posted, I would have to guess that the copper board appears to be the cleanest and would work well as it is. Both the front and back side are nice and clean and really don't show any signs of oxidation or corrosion. I'd have to pick the 2nd board. But hey I am no tech, just someone that has messed with a few electronics in his life messing about. The top board appears to be in okay condition, and it may be the best, but it isn't is as good of shape as the bottom board you posted. That is JMHO. But like I said. I'm no tech or engineer of these radios. Most likely why they used these parts like they did I'd due to prices of materials and also the time consumption it might take to make one board versus the other. Just a hunch. Hopefully someone with some experience with these type boards will answer!! Got me curious now as well! Hope you get the answer soon. Keep up the good work. Love that old boat anchor of a radio. Almost bought one as my first HF radio, but after reading about them, I chose a more modern radio. They do sound good on SSB with a D104. Setup right they are a good radio. But you have to set them up correctly and really know what you are doing. They aren't a beginners radio and can kill you if you go poking around inside with one plugged in. My local pal has one that is in the shop as of the moment. Also he has an Icom 728 that is in the shop. Not sure why he has had so many issues with the 728, as it's been back there a few times, but have a feeling it needs a total recap and alignement and to be tuned correctly. The tech only fixed what issues were present last few times it was there and didn't go over the whole radio. Boy has he paid for that one. Over $700 into it as of now and that is before this trip to the shop. And he got it for a God price. Like $200. Anyways, like I said, you keep up the good work man. Nice to see all the guys that like messing with these radios and that are keeping them alive!! Old radio they are. To me anyways. Have a good day and be safe working on those old "boat anchors"!!!(y)(y)

"Radio Tech" a forum member here - has done extensive work to this model of radio.

I remember in one of his videos on this radio, that he discusses that there were different versions of the boards found in this radio. In addition, he pointed out that the service manual has this info on these boards and should be consulted/regarded when working on them.

Robb is correct. I did do a video on this some time ago.
Thanks Robb for the mention.

Here is the full service manual. This has a lot of information about these radios in it. Any questions pertaining to the 101 can pretty much be found in the service manual. One reason why I love these rigs so much

http://www.foxtango.org/Manuals/FT-101_SVC_Manual.pdf

Refer to section 5-1 This will give you board numbers and what radio time period they came from. As far as two boards not looking the same you have to know that these radios were built for many years. When a model was upgraded older boards were re-fitted for the new model. Also Yaesu had a policy you send them the defected board and they would send you a replacement. So you may would have not got your original board back. Just a repaired one.

Lets take the 1183B board you posted for instant. It was used in the early and late versions on the B, E, EE, and EX. The later E,EE,EX used the 1184C.
The later B boards were plated. Is one better than the other? Not really. The plating only kept the copper from tarnishing. Later on in life even the plated ones would start to tarnish.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.