• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu MD-100A8X Desktop Mic , and the Yaesu FT-757GX II

Raccoon

Oct 27, 2005
www.youtube.com
I have a Yaesu MD-100A8X Desktop Mic , I'd like to use it on my Yaesu FT-757GX II ? I bought a cord on ebay that was suppose to be able to match the mic to the radio , there's keyup but no audio . Has anyone else ever put an MD-100A8X on a FT-757GX II , how difficult would it be for me to get them to match up and work right together ?

I have a Yaesu MD-100A8X Desktop Mic , I'd like to use it on my Yaesu FT-757GX II ? I bought a cord on ebay that was suppose to be able to match the mic to the radio , there's keyup but no audio . Has anyone else ever put an MD-100A8X on a FT-757GX II , how difficult would it be for me to get them to match up and work right together ?
You will need to supply power to the MD-100 externally.

You will need to supply power to the MD-100 externally.
I understand that , but doesn't the radio have a pin in it that should be already supplying power to the MD-100 , like they do with the stock mics ... and shouldn't the cord I bought already be wired properly between the radio and the mic so that they match up and work together ?

I understand that , but doesn't the radio have a pin in it that should be already supplying power to the MD-100 , like they do with the stock mics ... and shouldn't the cord I bought already be wired properly between the radio and the mic so that they match up and work together ?
I believe you can open it up and apply +5v to pin 2 for those mics.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: Raccoon
No. The older Yaesu HF radios used a dynamic mic, that does not require power. The MD-100 has a preamp/EQ that requires 5 VDC on pin 2, that is not provided by that radio.

No. The older Yaesu HF radios used a dynamic mic, that does not require power. The MD-100 has a preamp/EQ that requires 5 VDC on pin 2, that is not provided by that radio.

Ok , well I have a D104 Silver Eagle , and a Turner 254 that I can use with it . The Silver Eagle is already wired up to it , but I was wondering which one would be a better match up for the 757GX II .

Ok , well I have a D104 Silver Eagle , and a Turner 254 that I can use with it . The Silver Eagle is already wired up to it , but I was wondering which one would be a better match up for the 757GX II .
I've owned many GX and GXIIs. I have found that the Turner +3 is the absolute best sounding mic of any on that radio. Keeping the gain down, of course. Never ran the mic over 9:00 position and get a sound check using the mic gain on the radio. That combo is excellent!

I've owned many GX and GXIIs. I have found that the Turner +3 is the absolute best sounding mic of any on that radio. Keeping the gain down, of course. Never ran the mic over 9:00 position and get a sound check using the mic gain on the radio. That combo is excellent!
Thanks Greg , I'll look into getting a Turner Plus 3 to go with it in the near future . So do you think that the Turner 254 would make a good match up for in the mean time , or stick with the Silver Eagle for now ?

Yaesu did a write up in the 90's, when the MD-100 came out, that would offer owners of radios that did not have 5V on pin 2. It was a dirty work around, but it works. I have not seen that write up in decades, but it was geared towards owners of FT-890, 990, 1000 etc. I modified my 990, to supply 5V on pin 2. You could easily bring pin 2 out of the mic plug to a 5V supply.

I ran that mic on my RCI 2950 years ago.

I got 12 volt positive and negative off the main board ran out the PA jack with small wires. Hooked up a 7805 voltage regulator in line for +5V. Made custom mic cord wired for all functions , even the channel/frequency up/down switch worked.

Sold it and radio when I moved up to Kenwood TS-570S. Was a neat trick tho!

Thanks Greg , I'll look into getting a Turner Plus 3 to go with it in the near future . So do you think that the Turner 254 would make a good match up for in the mean time , or stick with the Silver Eagle for now ?
I'm not familiar with the 254. Can't help ya on that one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.