• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU MH-59 Mic RFI NIGHTMARES!

Does your Mh 59 use a shielded cable. some do some don't. The one in the link above appears to be unshielded.I had two identical mics here ,same yaesu part no.! shielded worked fine. The other unshielded ,anything over 3o watts on 10m caused rf feedback.

dont know, the mic is from 2012 but I can check this
if no shield I can try to cover it with aluminium foil (from the kitchen) to test if it works

worth a try. bit hard to connect both ends though.Some of the Yaesu vhf and uhf radios don't have shielded cables and many of the mics are used on different models (some use the same mic head with a different cable and plug) MH-59 is the mic head, full part no will have plug and cable no eg MH-59 B8JS Don't quote me on the no, just going by memory. S are the shielded cables.

So I went to my car (I am on night shift) and plugged the mic out.
There is no number on the cable.

I opened the mic to check the cable, it looks that it is no shielded cable, there is only something like "cloth" inside, means no metal.

I tested again 10m to play a little bit with the SSB gain but I observed that I had on MOD (in the display on the left side) a full bar but on ALC no bar indication, also if I spoke into the mic.

So this is a little bit confusing.

Do you know were I can buy a shielded cabe for the MH 59 ?

Attachments

• DSC_0256a.jpg
    DSC_0256a.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 305
My MH-59 Had the RF feedback issue in the MH-59 microphone I bought it last winter and tried it 1 time on my FT-857D while I was out of town for a week and I was not happy because as Bill said "These microphones are $80.00" I came home plugged it into my FT-450 and audio was fine but whats the point because the ft-450 isnt setup with the remote Microphone menu option so waht a waste. I took the microphone and put it away.

Wel just for he ck of it I pulled the microphone out the otherday and pluged it into my FT-897D and keyed it up while monitoring on my FT-990 and audio was fine. I then went into the 897's menu settings and set it to remote mic and audio was great I couldnt believe it my exspensive Mic works flawlessly!!

Lastnight I pulled out the FT-857D pulled off the face unplugged the stock MH-31 hand mic and plugged in the MH-59 keyed the radio while monitoring again and audio was fine!! Now I went into the FT-857D's menu and againg swithed from Normal mic the remote mic setting I keyed the radio and Waaa!!! Laaaa!!! again flawless audio!!! Everthing works perfect on both radios!!

Im thinking it was how I had the antenna setup when out of town radio (MH-59) microphone was to close to antenna causig RF feedback?? All I know is mine works Thank Gawd!! Now Ide like to by another but will not pay $80.00 because Im simply not a gambler so Ill watch for a deal ;)

FERRIT

Where did you get the ferrit?, I have about the same problem with my DX70T, the lights have a dim when xmiting, and yes I have the rig grounded and using an ALINCO ems-14 desk microphone
DOCTOR 795

Doesn't everyone think it is ridiculous to put all these ferrites on the mic?

Wouldn't it just make more sense for

Yaesu to

1. Aknowledge the problem
  2. Fix the problem

Reactions: 2 people
It would be really nice of they did but it is already years old.
I was all ready to buy a mh 59 for my 897d and as soon as read this thread I pulled the plug on the idea.
I keep saying we are simply beta testers..... now it seems they expect us to find, work out the bugs AND fix them.

Jeff

I been running my FT-857D with my MH-59 for a week or so and have to say Ive fallen inlove with this dang microphone!! Although its totally a lazy man maker because everything I mean EVERYTHING can be done with this dang microphone Even the Volume of the radio!! LMAO!!!

Not everything but nearly everything **Jump_im**

I use the same combination in my car together with the ATAS 120A
and this is more lazy than the combination 875 - mh 59 :D :D :D

So the function of the MH 59 is excellent but the RFI problem is not so fine

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.