• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yeticom Optima Display Issue

Me thinks they don't want to start a precedent by agreeing to fix mine. I'm guessing there's many other units with the same problem and it would hurt their bottom line by doing the right thing.

It's just easier telling the customer that it ain't "broken" and hope they buy it.

In addition to my Optima doing this:

2012-09-28_19-09-36_352.jpg

It now does this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x27Wr_HMQnA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It just keeps getting worse. I sure would like my radio to be fixed. It's all I ask.

Yes, it has been reset several times. It was purchased in May. I have the original receipt. It has both tamper seals intact.

What else does a guy need?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Well...

After posting the blinking display, I was contacted by Dave. He said that it needed looked at and wanted me to ship it back to Hong Kong. The display locks up frequently and the blinking display has only happened twice so far.

This is NOT the first issue I have had with the Optima. My first one squealed like a pig on transmit. I tried 2 ICOM mics with it besides the stock mic with the same pig squeal. Dave sent me a new one right away and even paid to send the old one back. Now that was service that I was impressed with.

Now, the display issue, which has been identified as an unstable processor, and has a fix in version 3, is not covered under warranty and is a drag. I want to get it fixed, but shipping is $56 USPS and $94 UPS back to Hong Kong. I've got to much money in this thing as it is. I decided to cut my losses and just play the darn thing as it is. That's the risk one takes when buying an item that has no domestic support, shipping is way high on the return trip.

I do like the radio, it plays really well and always gets good audio reports. If it doesn't get any worse I suppose I can live with it's idiosyncrasies.

I didn't get a quote without insurance, and I suppose it would be cheaper, but if it got damaged or lost, well I'd be even more bummed.

Do I recommend NOT buying an Optima? NO! Do I think the lock up issue should be covered under warranty? YES!

If I read the warranty correctly...It sounds as if the fault is a true defect then they refund your shipping. Since the lock up issue is a non warranty issue as claimed, I'm not taking any chances with them saying the blinking is my fault.

I hope I don't sound all SOUR and stuff, but it is what it is.

Would it be possible for you to wait until the warranty period has lapsed to consider purchasing from the factory the replacement fix processor and having it replaced by a qualified local technician. No postage, no loss of product on the mailing etc....

Could Dave assist you in making this happen?

cheers

Bruce

So, the MKIII fixes all the bugs that us MKII "beta testers" paid big bucks for the pleasure of owning with no recourse. Just keep in mind, that until Yeticom gets with the program and finds a domestic service center, your $375 radio gets even more expensive shipping it back to Hong Kong. Trust me, it ain't cheap.

Notice the disabled comments section in the video....

I wouldn't pay more than $100 on a used MKII. I also wouldn't pull the trigger on a new MKIII until they've been in service for at least 6 months.

Yeticom Optima MKIII release video - YouTube

Last edited:
No Photoshop or trickery...

Remember how my old Optima MKII did this with the display?

And the MKIII version was supposed to fix that...Well, look at what my new Optima MKIII does.

IMG_1428_zps9ccfe5af.jpg

I wonder what the factory would say now?

Yes, I was a dumbass and ordered one of those cheap ass Optimas from the special guy on Ebay. supposedly, the nice gentlemen at Key CB in Indiana is the factory authorized. I doubt I'll send it to him. I'll probably just "turn it on and off" and be happy.

Last edited:
Remember how my old Optima MKII did this with the display?

And the MKIII version was supposed to fix that...Well, look at what my new Optima MKIII does.

IMG_1428_zps9ccfe5af.jpg

I wonder what the factory would say now?

Yes, I was a dumbass and ordered one of those cheap ass Optimas from the special guy on Ebay. supposedly, the nice gentlemen at Key CB in Indiana is the factory authorized. I doubt I'll send it to him. I'll probably just "turn it on and off" and be happy.
A MKII with a MKIII faceplate?:eek:

IDK, but it has the new faceplate, stiffer tuning knob and fan mounting scheme.

It seems to play well. The only con so far is low AM audio and the DISPLAY!

I'd just stay away from any version of the Optima. Buy something else. My CRE is still playing good, other than the CW issue.

The factory couldn't watch my YouTube videos. Seems I forgot, the Chinese can't watch YouTube. I had to send links from my Dropbox account. They assured me that they will fix me up one way or the other.

My MKII took three months to start acting up. My MKIII took just 3 days.

I will say I have version 3 and 2 version 5-6 Anytone 5555 radios with no issues at all on any of them. Everything has worked great from day one on all of them. From what I understand the Anytone and CRE share a lot of the same stuff on the board just the CRE is in a smaller box

Attachments

• anytone triple play.jpg
    anytone triple play.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 9

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.