• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

your favorite tips for someone new to cb radio

get the antenna you want/need the first time. don't cheap out or "just settle", or you will eventually end up with the one you wanted anyway. the rest will end up just collecting dust in the garage.

go to the local cb get-togethers, if invited. the old-timers can be an excellent source of advice or might be willing to sell you their used stuff, cheap.

try to be helpful - i helped a couple people, gave away some old equipment, and got way, way more back in return - help studying for my ham license, free scanner, help setting up equipment, etc... just from taking the time to stop and help a friend out.

My advice to all newcomers would be, "It's not about being "loud"... it's about being "clear". 10 watts of clear, undistorted signal will always do better than 20 watts of distorted, splattered signal." I've had so many people thank me for giving that advice over the years. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
Don't take any information seen on the internet seriously unless you have actually heard those providing said information on the air.

My advice to all newcomers would be, "It's not about being "loud"... it's about being "clear". 10 watts of clear, undistorted signal will always do better than 20 watts of distorted, splattered signal." I've had so many people thank me for giving that advice over the years. :)

~Cheers~

Antenna > Radio

A $50 President base station, unmodified, hooked up to a 5-el yagi will outperform a 50w export radio into a Wilson W5000.

The 102" inch whip, if mounted in a good place in a permanent mount, will outperform any other mobile antenna on the market.
The above is well said.........When I started out I had it backwards, spent a lot of money on useless mods to radios with clipped limiters, usless microphones with echo turned up too high. I was under the impression that this is what made a BIG radio:blushing:. Wish I would have known then what I know now. I would have spent some of that wasted money on a good antenna, always thought then that the coil antennas outalked a full length whip:blushing:. Would have spent some of that wasted money on an antenna analyzer, but you know I thot if the swr was FLAT that was all that mattered. I wish I had made friends with the people that knew what a good radio should sound like when it was set up right. I got caught up in the "spread the coils for 2 more watts thing":blushing:. It took me a while but I eventually met the right people, and learned some of my lessons the hard way..............always keep your ears open and listen to the "Old Guys".......(y) They will teach you a lot of things. You can always tell a mudduck by the way he quacks!!!!!:love:

I'm one of the newbies that ya'll are trying to help. I have read several threads on this site and appreciate all of your advice. It has really helped me as I'm getting started

The above is well said.........When I started out I had it backwards, spent a lot of money on useless mods to radios with clipped limiters, usless microphones with echo turned up too high. I was under the impression that this is what made a BIG radio:blushing:. Wish I would have known then what I know now. I would have spent some of that wasted money on a good antenna, always thought then that the coil antennas outalked a full length whip:blushing:. Would have spent some of that wasted money on an antenna analyzer, but you know I thot if the swr was FLAT that was all that mattered. I wish I had made friends with the people that knew what a good radio should sound like when it was set up right. I got caught up in the "spread the coils for 2 more watts thing":blushing:. It took me a while but I eventually met the right people, and learned some of my lessons the hard way..............always keep your ears open and listen to the "Old Guys".......(y) They will teach you a lot of things. You can always tell a mudduck by the way he quacks!!!!!:love:

We should really hammer that point home.

DO NOT CLIP THE LIMITER
Noise toys are a waste of money.
If you want more power, buy an amplifier.
The biggest change is from 4w to 100w. 100w to 200w will only yield +3 dB, and 100w to 400w will only yield +6 dB. 6 dB is approximately 1 s-unit.
Heat is the #1 killer of electronics.
You cannot beat a quality microphone.

The only mods really worth doing to any radio:
1.) Alignment. If your radio is TX'ing on 27.1825 as opposed to 27.1850, you're not going to be able to reach peak performance.

2.) Tuning to ensure your radio is outputting 4w deadkey to 12w swing, and your average modulation at normal speaking volume should produce peaks around 90-95%.

3.) Microphone. Quality of input dictates quality of output.

4.) Upgrading your finals is a waste of money when you can purchase an amplifier for $150 or less. This also keeps heat OUT of your radio, and allows them to be dispersed over a large heatsink (amps typically are one big heatsink).

5.) Spending $250 on a "30 kW capable!" coil loaded antenna will only yield you disappointment.

6.) Magnet mounts are one of the worst ways to mount an antenna on the planet.

2 watts swinging 100 watts sounds like crap. Save super swing for SSB. Also when setting mic gain watch your meter. If your dk starts going up slightly turn it back down. Also I use less mic gain when on SSB.

~Cheers~

AMEN!!! This should go to the top of the list, as the best advise!

Reactions: 1 person
You will ultimately want a RCI-2995 and the biggest X-Force amp you can get your hands on and a Lazer-400 on a 80ft tower.(y)

DO NOT clip the limiter!
DO NOT buy a "mod kit"
DO NOT let anyone cut, chop, or add/remove ANY components from the radio.
(exception, channel expansion)
DO NOT use an amplifier. They are dirty and of low-quality.
DO NOT buy ANY radio, other than an FCC type-accepted CB.
(too much radio, and could end up spending more than you need)
DO NOT buy any "noise toys" (why")

There are more.. but too old to remember :headbang

I'm Glad you started this thread - Booty!

Best advice for the newbies?

Hmmmm . . .

Oh yeah . . . Find a local operator that has some time to show one 'the ropes'.
The 'do's and don'ts'.
One will make far less mistakes and learn much faster.
:bdh:
I found out a lotta imfo. on a site named worldwide dx ,and ended up buying a intek m-495 power (which seems to be slightly more powerfull than normal.) Many thanks worldwide dx.

We should really hammer that point home.

DO NOT CLIP THE LIMITER
Noise toys are a waste of money.
If you want more power, buy an amplifier.
The biggest change is from 4w to 100w. 100w to 200w will only yield +3 dB, and 100w to 400w will only yield +6 dB. 6 dB is approximately 1 s-unit.
Heat is the #1 killer of electronics.
You cannot beat a quality microphone.

The only mods really worth doing to any radio:
1.) Alignment. If your radio is TX'ing on 27.1825 as opposed to 27.1850, you're not going to be able to reach peak performance.

2.) Tuning to ensure your radio is outputting 4w deadkey to 12w swing, and your average modulation at normal speaking volume should produce peaks around 90-95%.

3.) Microphone. Quality of input dictates quality of output.

4.) Upgrading your finals is a waste of money when you can purchase an amplifier for $150 or less. This also keeps heat OUT of your radio, and allows them to be dispersed over a large heatsink (amps typically are one big heatsink).

5.) Spending $250 on a "30 kW capable!" coil loaded antenna will only yield you disappointment.

6.) Magnet mounts are one of the worst ways to mount an antenna on the planet.
someone make that a sticky.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.