• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

your favorite tips for someone new to cb radio

B

BOOTY MONSTER

what are your favorite tips for someone new to the cb hobby ?
how about we each share one or two tips that we wish someone had told us or that we learned along the way and keep in mind . here's mine

don't get too caught up in what a meter shows .
use the best antenna you can afford . (very good antennas can be had for base or mobile for under $75)

Last edited by a moderator:

best advice is to: 1) believe nothing until you get confirmation from at least 3 reliable sources.
2) Don't buy an export radio unless you plan on using the extra channel capability.
3) Do as I say and not as I do!

best advice is to: 1) believe nothing until you get confirmation from at least 3 reliable sources.
2) Don't buy an export radio unless you plan on using the extra channel capability.
3) Do as I say and not as I do!

That is to funny, thanks for the laugh.

Best advice, READ, READ, READ and then READ some more.

All kind of info out on the WWW, everything from antennas, transmission lines, different reviews on different type radios so forth and so on.

Another good read is the power in perspective article, which can be found with google search.

My best advice is to have fun.
If you are not having fun then what's the point.
A CB will still transmit without a Hammer of Thor antenna and a Jimmy Jerk- Job Modulation Modifier. CB equipment properly maintained has a very, very low failure rate.

oh man, if only i knew then what i know now. i would have never sold half the radios i have sold !

lucky for me, i had a few locals here who were patient, and were willing to help a new guy out.
one was especially nice, he told me what to do and how to do it, and sold me the equipment as well, (for cheap mind you)

got some mast, antron 99, coax, uniden madison, a good mic (dont remember what one)
and i was talking like all the other locals !
i didnt know diddley squat about anything. it was baptism by fire. all i knew is that i sounded great, and got out very well.
im glad he helped me out. even though i didnt know exactly why my newbie system sounded so well.

though i had some good locals to help me out, i didnt know anything about cb radios or anything related.

long answer short, i wish i had one of the locals here, sit me down, and show me the ropes, as it were.

Best tip would be to get someone who knows what they are doing to set up your antenna system and transmission line/plugs, its the heart of your station, doing this could save you years flogging a dead horse. More often than not you'll find a few locals with the knowledge and willingness to help you. Chances are it won't cost you anymore than a couple of beers or a couple of packets of fags, and its the best money you will ever invest in radio, knowledge is power.

if your really smart you'll get them to explain each step to you so you can do it yourself in the future.

Second best tip would be: if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it or it probably will end up broke.

When buying a radio from a CB shop and ask for a tune, first know what a tune is. Second is know just who is working on your radio and what they plan on doing to it. Clippers shouldn't be the main ingredient of a tune.

I agree, buy a quality radio from a shop that does good tech work and has a good rep. Then leave the covers on the darn thing and don't let anyone else mess with it.

Next would be to get the best antenna you can and realize the antenna SWR is set to the vehicle, not the radio. Once a mobile antenna is set up and left in place you can run other radio's and not have to re-tune the SWR every time.

Find a CB Shop with the KNOW-HOW. Ask around about the CB Shop before you do any business. Anyone can turn a screwdriver and Hack-Up a Good Radio. And Remember CB Shops are a dime a dozen. A good one is getting hard to find.

i would tell him these two things
1. listen for two weeks and get to know whats going on before ever transmitting
2. have fun but dont give out any personal information or take anyone too seriously

Get a swr meter, multimeter,soldering iron, insulating tape and watchmakers screwdrivers and learn how to use them. Make all electrical connections neat and tidy. If any connection is loose then preventative repair is key to preventing set damage.
Never ever disrespect anyone including yourself on air. Dont get caught earwigging. Dont talk too much. If you dont enjoy using the radio turn it off. Dont say anything that you would not like anyone to know.

Antenna > Radio

A $50 President base station, unmodified, hooked up to a 5-el yagi will outperform a 50w export radio into a Wilson W5000.

The 102" inch whip, if mounted in a good place in a permanent mount, will outperform any other mobile antenna on the market.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.