• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Your furthest contact .

Australia, S Africa, Moscow,Argentina,Brazil,Paraguay, Venezuela, Tobago, Us Virgin Islands,Canada,States, Who knows? Anyone got a tape measure? All were from mobile,

Back when I had a base setup was doing the same sort of distances with ease, hopefully will soon have a CLR2 up and start pummeling them all again, Rarely if ever use more than 200w mobile or base, its just not needed.

Was out mobile last night for first time in 2 years and wracked up 5 stations in southern England in less than an hour on an S9 and Megawatt 4000, Heard Brazil late on but was quite low and was having microphone problems so didn't bother calling him, but with a radio working well and a KL203p or B300p I'd have picked him off too, easily.

But was only out testing a couple of S9's my mate bought and I'm pretty sure they will need work as RF feedback was dreadful, soon as I went above 10w, but even on low power sporadic e skip working if your confident is easy. Got a feeling someone has been messing with ALC/Modulation and. Possibly final Bias too, something ain't right on them, not my favourite radios by a long stretch.

Possible its the Astatic Road Devil causing it too, but had gain on that set almost at zero,and mic gain on radio about 8 o clock position to stop squeal. will try a non amplified microphone on it next and see if the road devil or radio needs sorted out, both I'm unfamiliar with as I usually use teardrops and either Unidens or Ranger chassied radios.

Reactions: 357magnum
Man I am about to embark on a day/night shift deal myself capt. Kilowatt and I am not looking forward to it. Not a fan of night work lol. I am a day walker lol.

For 22 years I worked a typical 9-5 Monday-Friday job but was on call 24/7. Nine years ago I took another job where I work two days and two nights of 8:00-8:00 twelve hour shifts followed by four days off. As much as I don't like nights I prefer this over the old schedule as I get four days off every rotation and when I take a four shift rotation off it means 12 days off. I just got off this morning and started vacation. I took two rotations off which means I have 20 days off. WOOHOO! <More audio>(y)

Reactions: 3 people
My furthest contact on was to a guy in Italy from Missouri on 27.380. Met him on 38 LSB during a pile up and my call apparently got out over everyone else s. He asked if I'd move 5 KHz down, and I did. We had a great chat while everyone else was left on 27.385 trying to get back to him. LOL

Reactions: 1 person
A few ways of looking at this and depends on the bands and modes including output power....

Some of my best and farthest contacts were on 11 and 10 meters, mostly during skip conditions. CW during the night I have been able to reach out 90 plus mikes at five Watts on 10 meter. Best on 11 meters was long path to Australia, over the North Pole.
I have even heard my own signal going around the World while working CW to South Africa on 10 meters! A delay of a split second or so, I thought someone was goofing with me!
On low, low power.... About 3 miliwatts, I worked a station in Virginia on CW, it was set up as the power was really low and signals were not all that good. If translated to miles per Watt, it would be something like 2.1 million miles per Watt! :whistle:
I have worked stations in England on 80 CW, about 15 Watts, not a record but decent! On 20 meters even more great contacts can be had.
One of the best on 11 meters was working a local friend, he lives about 30 miles from me and SSB is usually a tough fight with out power and beams.... we worked backscatter, to each other when working a California station.... around 4000 miles! he was loud and clear for the first time!
I worked a station in the Soo, Sault ste Marie, Michigan, about 180 miles and I think it was a temperature inversion along Lake Superior. I live in the central upper peninsula of Michigan.
One more! I have heard the wooshing sound of signals from Jupiter as it was rising in the East one night.... on my CB radio! :p

73 mechanic

contact.png

My furthest contact (on 11 meters) was to New Guinea (7265 miles or 11692 km). It was in July of 2012. That day was the only day I ever heard (or worked) anyone from that far southwest of my location. Since then the farthest I've been able to hear in that direction is Hawaii.

Furthest contact for me is from my house to the Iowa/Wisconsin border near Guttenberg, Iowa. It's about 80-85 miles. I talked barefoot on my base to a friend on his barefoot base (we both use omnidirectional antennas). I always thought that was quite the trip! :)

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.