• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Your thoughts on this home made mobile mount

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
I have decided I want to take my Wilson 1000 mag mount and make it a hard mount.

Those of you who know the Wilsons, know the coil section unscrews from the base via a PL259/SO239 connection.

Here's what the coil looks like when removed from the base:

$(KGrHqJ,!gwE05yEC9QyBNeW4J!8q!~~_12.JPG

Now here's what I had in mind...is to bore a 7/8 hole in the roof and install one of these:

$(KGrHqQOKjQE0jn!4Z2qBN,Jqsu7kw~~0_3.JPG

I figure I could secure this to the roof and screw the Wilson 1000's coil body onto it complete with the 62 inch whip, and then solder some coax on the other end and run it to my radio.

I could do a Wilson 1000 roof mount but that will set me back $75. I can do this mod for under $10. I can also make a seal for it to keep the rain water out. The only thing I might not be able to do is install a rain cap as the Wilson 1000 roof mount comes with one.

Anyways let me know what you think...I'm thinking it would be a cheaper alternative than spending $75 for a Wilson roof mount.

You could do that and seal the fitting real well. As for a weather cap, just take the shell from an old PL-259 connector and solder a penny over the end. When you remove the antenna just thread the connector shell over the jack. I made a couple of them up and then dipped them in liquid rubber compound just for good measure.

Thanks CK...how well would that penny hold onto the PL259? The liquid rubber compund...is that the same stuff as the "brush on" electric tape that comes in a can?

I am wondering for sheet metal if I'd be better off using pop rivets to secure this in place...?

Or I had consider tack welding where the mount holes are...my paint job on my beater truck is old and needs redone so if it were to burn the paint I wouldn't be majorily concerned.

So put the SO-239 on top of the roof. Seal it, use a gasket to seal the coil housing.
- 'Doc

Or better yet. An NMO mount, an adapter to the SO-239 type connector on the coil.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.