1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero-five antenna

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by 552fl, Nov 3, 2018.

1. 552fl

552fl Active Member

I'm running a starduster now..how much improvement would a zero-5 give me?

2. NightThumper

NightThumper Member

NONE! In fact worst for 11 meters. I have a 43 foot zero five with about 60 radials. I only use it on 160 to 10 meters and use my Solarcon 2000 for 11 meters. I’ll let someone else get into the radiation patterns/angle.

3. Riverman71

Riverman71 Part-time Member

My guess is at the same height you'll see little or no improvement. It's just hard to beat a Starduster. I believe Marconi has done some comparisons between it and some other antennas. Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in.

4. midnight special

midnight special Well-Known Member

if you are talking about the zero 5 5/8 wave ground plane the only real advantage is it will take high wattage,, in a common setup not much difference,,,

5. S&W357

S&W357 Active Member

I had a Starduster years ago...great antenna. I say keep on Stardusting.

binrat likes this.
  6. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

My question for the Zero 5 is why would they load the high impedance 5/8 wave with a shunt capacitor rather than just using the matching inductor to achieve 50 ohms? It seems counterproductive to use two matching devices on an antenna that only needs one to get to 50 ohms.

7. Oscar Goldman

Oscar Goldman Active Member

It is a parallel tuned network.

8. 552fl

552fl Active Member

wow,,

9. 552fl

552fl Active Member

looks like with that amount of cost the darn thing would do something huh,,,

10. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I have a starduster on my garage station. The only thing that i would replace it with is a beam.

11. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

The added inductance brings the antenna to 50 ohms but it is reactive. The C is needed to cancel out the inductance added. At least that's why it is used in other antennas of similar design.

12. 552fl

552fl Active Member

Thanks shade tree mechanic... I have a Sirio Sy - 27 4 element Beam on the horizontal side.. was just looking to upgrade on the vertical sideto a better antenna but it looks like I'll just stick with a starduster thanks for all the help

13. Shockwave

Shockwave Sr. Member

Now that makes sense since the tuned circuit will cause the RF voltage to rise and step the impedance up at the resonant frequency. One would think the additional tuned circuit would also reduce bandwidth. My mind couldn't see past the point that it's not needed and only adds another weak link in the chain on a high power antenna. It's not so hard to reach a 1:1 match with the right inductor and no added gamma.

14. 552fl

552fl Active Member

Heck with it I'll just look for another kind of antenna maybe something better than a starduster..

15. bob85

bob85 Supporting Member

When you find something better & often much more expensive than a starduster the difference in signal performance on air will be small IF you mount them at the same tip height and they are correctly installed / isolated so you don't have cmc messing with the results, unless its some form of collinear or beam,

my astroplane isolated 1/4wave below the hoop will give any of my other antennas a hard time at the same tip height.

The DB and Marconi like this.