• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10 and 11 meter noise floor insane!

ww981

Aug 11, 2022
SoCal
I have a 10/11 meter 5/8 wave ground plane antenna and working DX is incredibly difficult if the incoming station is anything less than a s7. I have so much static and noise coming in. My 2 meter has almost zero noise, I can turn the squelch down completely and its s0 and once in a great while it’ll bounce to s1.

In an effort to try and discover what’s going on, I’ve shut off all the power to the whole house and ran the radios off a battery and it had zero effect on the noise floor. I then put the radio in my vehicle with a Wilson 1000 and drove around the neighborhood. In the vehicle the noise floor bounces around from s4 to s7 anywhere within the housing tract. If I drive away from the houses, to some auxiliary road, the noise floor dropped to s0-s1. I decided to drive around a different housing tract and as soon as I pull into the tract, noise floor shoots up again. We live in an area where all the power lines are underground, except for the big power lines. I don’t know where to go from here, but 10/11m is almost unusable.

Any advice on how I can drop the noise floor for better signal to noise ratio? Thanks!

Attachments

• 54D7129C-25CD-4AFD-853F-3235C2B01B54.jpeg
    54D7129C-25CD-4AFD-853F-3235C2B01B54.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
Reactions: Rwb

Three thoughts.

I once had a 7 noise level on 11 meters. Started turning off lights and found the culprit. A single energy-saving light bulb. When turned off, noise dropped to 1. It was the early spiral type bulb. Replaced it and problem went away.

Have you tried another radio? It might be the ANL isn’t working as it should.

Do you talk to locals on 11 meters? If not, a horizontal antenna will have less noise than a vertical one.

Good luck!

Reactions: Rwb and codeman
Any advice on how I can drop the noise floor for better signal to noise ratio? Thanks!
1. Locate and disable noise source.
2. Move to quiet neighbourhood.
3. Install radio and antenna in quiet neighbourhood and use it remote.
4. Some guys have success with QRM Eliminator X-Phase device.
Mike

I once had a 7 noise level on 11 meters. Started turning off lights and found the culprit. A single energy-saving light bulb. When turned off, noise dropped to 1. It was the early spiral type bulb. Replaced it and problem went away.

Have you tried another radio? It might be the ANL isn’t working as it should.

Do you talk to locals on 11 meters? If not, a horizontal antenna will have less noise than a vertical one.

Good luck!
I did try turning off the power to the house and it had no effect on the noise floor so I doubt the noise is coming from within my house.

I did try several radios (148 gtl, 29 ltd) all with the same results. I’ll keep digging. Thx!
Mike
1, that’s the goal
2, not feasible unfortunately
3, interesting thought
4, thx, I’ll look into it!

• Haha
Reactions: Eldorado828 and Rwb
I use a simple AM radio to track noise. I know you have underground utilities but it is still possible that an above ground transformer is spewing noise from a loose connection. That and solar panels are what I would look for as I walked around with the radio.

Mike
number 2 sounds best

I found that my Chi-Com HT chargers put out a lot of noise when there's a radio sitting in the charger. Also noticed that switching from a horizontal or vertical antenna for 10 meter at different times can help. Sometimes one is better than the other with no explanation.

I use a simple AM radio to track noise. I know you have underground utilities but it is still possible that an above ground transformer is spewing noise from a loose connection. That and solar panels are what I would look for as I walked around with the radio.

And if there's not a mallet to knock on the pole to see if your noise changes, be inventive... ;)

Radio - sylvester.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Rwb and NZ8N
Definitely look around the neighborhood for solar panels.

This company in NC called PowerHome Solar, now called Pink Energy, installed junk for one of my neighbors. The day they went online my radio was bombed with noise.

Now Pink Energy/PowerHome Solar has closed their doors, and blaming it on Generac. I told my neighbor about the noise problem. He did not care. Now he is up shite creek. And his solar system is not even two years old. Link is down below.

Last edited:
That guy keeps blaming Genarac.
His company's sales staff got busted on video misleading home owners.

Jeff

must of thought he would blame generac n get some $$$. id say generac did their homework on every lectric producing thing they built. been in buisness too long to cut

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.