• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10k vs wilson 5000 or 102 whip

It's not the antenna. It's the marble behind the mic that wins you points in this world. If you have something to say that folks want to hear, they will fix it on their end.

BTW, a 102" whip, top dead center will help.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Thanks guys , I'm running a single 2000 wilson on each of my pickups in the center behind the cabs. They seem like they're working pretty good. I got a 10K coming next week and thinking about putting it on my good pickup. I'll see how that works. Thanks for your comments. Later, Bomber

a real solid core 102-108inch whip will not bend very much at speed. a wilson what ever will. a coil what ever will bend some but only the whip/stinger.

this is why "some" see or hear a difference with a coiled blah blah antenna.

the full length antenna wins every time if mounted corectly and you dont use the cheapest one you can find. only place that sells a true solid core 102-108 1/4 wave antenna these days is MFJ.

take that to the bank. :twisted:

karo said:
FL Native said:
a real solid core 102-108inch whip will not bend very much at speed. a wilson what ever will. a coil what ever will bend some but only the whip/stinger.

this is why "some" see or hear a difference with a coiled blah blah antenna.

the full length antenna wins every time if mounted corectly and you dont use the cheapest one you can find. only place that sells a true solid core 102-108 1/4 wave antenna these days is MFJ.

take that to the bank. :twisted:

Horse hockie, the steel whip will bend up to 90 degees depending on the amount of wind shear it's placed under thus making it not a very good high power antenna in a mobile setup, I wonder why the highway patrol stopped using them? oh lets see, they used to run 200 watts fm vhf/uhf and at the frequency they operated at the life expectency was reduced due to variating swr levels and that was with 80'' antennas.

The 102 is very good in a mobile setup if you plan to park and talk with high power otherwise just run barefooted when in motion. Remember the swr thingy?

The other 2 antennas beat the 102'' all to pieces when vehicle is in motion for the simple fact of where the bulk of the power radiated is launched from ie the base or the center load of the antenna making swr levels much more stable.

so you ran those truck stop SSwhips i see. ok Mack !

Stainless is great for corrosion resistance and hardware, but not a very good conductor.

Is the Rod of GOD made out of stainless? 8)

karo said:
I wonder why the highway patrol stopped using them? oh lets see, they used to run 200 watts fm vhf/uhf and at the frequency they operated at the life expectency was reduced due to variating swr levels and that was with 80'' antennas.

I thought they went to the 800MHz trunking system to be linked with all other departments and also can't be monitored buy scanners.

Master Chief said:
Stainless is great for corrosion resistance and hardware, but not a very good conductor.

Is the Rod of GOD made out of stainless? 8)

So I need a solid GOLD full size rod lower then 18k but wouldn't that deform easily like an 18k ring will smash easily and a 24k is harder to crush. Then theres the fact that the conductors in the coax are still copper hum what coax has solid gold conductors. I think your on to something here if they made a box of gold to talk to GOD then he only knows who I'll be able to talk to with a gold antenna/coax setup. (Hello is there anyone out there calling from earth over...) :twsted

freecell said:
gold oxidizes more slowly but silver is the better conductor of the two.

I did read some where on Wilson's web site they use silver wire in there coils because it is better. Would using a silver platted c o p p e r tube or rod work better then other materials?

linearone said:
I use Kimber Kable in all my stereo installations......
When you really want to step up to some serious cable, check out CARDAS Audio cable. George Cardas is an old friend of mine. His wire really brightened up the video signals going to my TV monitor many years ago!

I've actually applied the Fibonacci Sequence to multiple antenna placement on vehicles. Does it work? Lets just say that cross band interference is gone. Can I prove it? Maybe or maybe not, but it worked for me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.