• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

10m isn't dead

dc2rf

Jan 15, 2014
I've made it a point to monitor 10m the past month or so. Most days I can see FT8 activity from South America. I'm located in Texas and am surprised to see that the US stations are seldom there to make contact with these stations. Today the dx was coming in from approx. 1900- thru 2100z and at the time of this post, are still coming in. I'm seeing many signals in the "plus", so I know they're easily workable. Saw a VP8 not too long ago who's CQ went unanswered. The band isn't dead, you just have to be patient and be there to work some good dx. Just an fyi ...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

image from today's 10m FT8 rx activity.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 165
I'm on 28.400 every morning at 0800 hrs Eastern time. Static/hiss/Static/hiss. Conditions won't be good for awhile yet. I understand that, but Dang! That's one reason I haven't went out and bought that new HF Radio that I've been eyeballing.

Last edited:
I'm sure what I see is "regional" so that's why I mentioned my location. Again, I see this SA pattern three to four days of the week.

I hear 'ya on not making that new purchase fogdog. It's been awhile since I've seen what the band is capable of. I just made this post to point out that, if you're in or near Texas, SA comes in on 10m often... btw, I'm copying on a simple wire vertical with the base about 4ft. off the ground.

Reactions: fogdog
I'm on 28.400 every morning at 0800 hrs Eastern time. Static/hiss/Static/hiss. Conditions won't be good for awhile yet. I understand that, but Dang! That's one reason I haven't went out and bought that new HF Radio that I've been eyeballing.
what radio did you get
if you dont mind my asking

I hear 'ya on not making that new purchase fogdog. It's been awhile since I've seen what the band is capable of. I just made this post to point out that, if you're in or near Texas, SA comes in on 10m often... btw, I'm copying on a simple wire vertical with the base about 4ft. off the ground.

Oh yeah I totally understand, sounds like you spend some time searching for signals as I do
Glad your
what radio did you get
if you dont mind my asking

Haven't got one yet, but I'm leaning towards a shack in the box yaesu 991a, or the IC 7300. If I went with the 991a I could put my 2900 in my pick up where it belongs, and use the 991a for 2m/440. That's probably the way I should go, but that 7300 IMHO is a nice radio as well, and there both within my budget.
I talked with a local yesterday on the repeater I use most of the time, and he had a 991a that sounded real good, but that really doesn't mean anything on HF. Heck my Baofeng sounds good in the repeater also after a few mods.
Didn't hear anybody on 10M this morning. I keep trying though.

Reactions: Tallman
Another day... the band is open again now... my local time of roughly noon. That VP8 is calling CQ again, and possibly making stateside contacts since he's giving reports to them. I can't "see" them, only the VP8. Made my point... no more posts on this subject. 73 my friends.

Oh yeah I totally understand, sounds like you spend some time searching for signals as I do
Glad your

Haven't got one yet, but I'm leaning towards a shack in the box yaesu 991a, or the IC 7300. If I went with the 991a I could put my 2900 in my pick up where it belongs, and use the 991a for 2m/440. That's probably the way I should go, but that 7300 IMHO is a nice radio as well, and there both within my budget.
I talked with a local yesterday on the repeater I use most of the time, and he had a 991a that sounded real good, but that really doesn't mean anything on HF. Heck my Baofeng sounds good in the repeater also after a few mods.
Didn't hear anybody on 10M this morning. I keep trying though.

I like the 7300. If I hadn't blown my radio budget for the next 10 years I would buy one.

If you don’t need uhf/vhf then the 7300 would be the way to go. I get more compliments on my audio from the 7300 than my 7610.

Attachments

• DE0B2295-3579-4D40-83C2-78E1496D15A1.jpeg
    DE0B2295-3579-4D40-83C2-78E1496D15A1.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 148
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Sometimes when I hear strong openings on CB, I’ll start to tune through the 10 meter CW beacon portion of the band. When I clearly hear those low wattage beacons, I’ll give a shout out on 29.600 FM simplex. There’s better than an even chance someone will answer back. CW beacons are great for monitoring 10 meter conditions because most of them are transmitting on low gain vertical antennas with 5 watts or less. Although I haven’t put one on the air, I did convert a PLL02A Cybernet years ago for another ham that wanted a beacon transmitter. I’m tempted to revisit that idea again for myself, but I fear that it would interfere with my other ham activities. To be more valid, beacons really should be on 24/7.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated