• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 Meter CB Antenna

For the best bang fer buck?

Either a Sirio GainMaster or a Sirio Vector 4000 for a vertical antenna, or a Sirio SY27-4 4-element horizontal Yagi. Depends if you want to go vertical or horizontal; horizontal is best for Dx, and a vertical is a better all around antenna for local/Dx. . .

Reactions: Galaxy 959
For the best bang fer buck?

Either a Sirio GainMaster or a Sirio Vector 4000 for a vertical antenna, or a Sirio SY27-4 4-element horizontal Yagi. Depends if you want to go vertical or horizontal; horizontal is best for Dx, and a vertical is a better all around antenna for local/Dx. . .

Yes I'm interested in the Verticals. I do local and DX. I had the Gainmaster in mind but seen a few reviews of them breaking. Just want something that I notice is better than my Antron 99 on TX and RX.

Reactions: MrToOL
If they are breaking from wind damage; then you may need to go to a Maco. If you live in an area with seasonal high winds, then the Maco antennas are built with a better gauge of metal. If power input is the consideration and wind is not a real problem; then the Sirio Vector 4000 is at the top of the heap - IMO . . .

Yes I'm interested in the Verticals. I do local and DX. I had the Gainmaster in mind but seen a few reviews of them breaking. Just want something that I notice is better than my Antron 99 on TX and RX.

If you're interested in DX then you don't want to be wasting your time with verticals and throwing away all that opportunity for free gain. Keep the Antron A99 for locals, shove a beam up for DX. Moxon Rectangles perform well, about the same as a 3 ele yagi, and are nice and compact.

If you're interested in DX then you don't want to be wasting your time with verticals and throwing away all that opportunity for free gain. Keep the Antron A99 for locals, shove a beam up for DX. Moxon Rectangles perform well, about the same as a 3 ele yagi, and are nice and compact.

959, I agree with M0GVZ that the Moxon is a good antenna. However there might be some detectable gain to be had with a 3 element yagi. The horizontal yagi is typically more durable too.

Another plus is you can mount your A99 right above the yagi, by just placing the yagi about 18" below the tip of your mast...and you will still have room to mount the A99 above. I think an A99 might also go above a Moxon, but I'm not sure how durable the construction of a Moxon would support such a setup. They just don't look durable to me if made of wire for sure.

If I have a model with an A99 above a horizontal 3 element yagi I will post it tomorrow vs a Moxon model, so we can get an idea what such a setup might indicate.

Good luck whatever you do...and keep us posted on your progress.

I agree with both of the above.
But you have to ask yourself, how much room do you have? What type of tower is being used? At what height is the antenna being placed? Do you have enough room to swing a 3 element beam and support the weight of one?? The moxon antenna has its advantages as its a lightweight antenna that does perform well. That said, the MFJ moxon antenna I think you're referring to doesn't look to be made of too heavy a gauge alum. It might not last a good storm! You might be better of building a moxon antenna. JMHO. As far as the rest goes, like said, if you can, mount a 3 element beam and an A99 above it. Should be a good setup for both local and DX. I still like my vector 4000 though;):D. Have a good one!!

I think an A99 might also go above a Moxon, but I'm not sure how durable the construction of a Moxon would support such a setup. They just don't look durable to me if made of wire for sure.

Mine is a wire one using fibreglass spreaders in a X shape. Its survived 60MPH winds just fine. They're quite robust. Sometimes rigidity can be counterproductive.

With least space where you do not have the space to run 6ft to 8ft ground radials Imax

Cheap Siro Tornado or a Workmen 5/8 if you can find one

$$$ MR Coily Excalibur you need the feed point a min of 50ft to 60ft on a tower

Right now I just have a 30' push up antenna pole. Someone gave me a 50' nice tower stand alone heavy duty. I guy said he would charge me only $100 to take it down and put it up at my place. But someone told me it would be to high and put me out of the wavelength. If that makes any since.

It wouldn't be too high. It would need to be properly supported. Setting up a tower correctly is somewhat complicated. Going to attach the tower to the side of the building for support and pour some concrete for the base support? Would it fall across power lines? Or your neighbor's house/property? Some things to consider.

If I had a 50ft tower to put up; I'd put a 4 element horizontal Yagi beam on it for sure - for one.

Last edited:
If you had a chance to get a new 11 meter band CB antenna what would it be? One with the best TX and RX?

I build my own from scratch everytime I get a different vehicle or truck but if I had to purchase one over the counter I would probably purchase one of these available at Bob's cb shop simply because they are replicas of the ones that I make for myself and the quality is identical to mine.
FB_IMG_1450378534308_zpsjmjutmmo.jpg

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag25/wapwallopen88/FB_IMG_1450378534308_zpsjmjutmmo.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.