• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter dipole vs A99 for base

I am curious how you have it attached to the tree. I have a couple BIG Douglas fir trees I have been thinking about using. Just not sure how to go about it.
The push-up pole has eyelets to attach guy wire. I have three short guy wires attached around three large tree trunks of the tree about twenty feet up in the tree. Nothing fancy but it's solid and been up about 20 years. I had bought the push-up pole from radio shack. It's similar to this one, telescoping.

41-QD-h-Owzo-L-AC-SY400.jpg

Last edited:
If the camper has a metal roof, I would be thinking about a full length 1/4 wave whip right in the middle of the roof. Use the metal roof as a ground plane. This will reduce RFI as compared to an Antron 99.

I’ve circled the block re half-wave verticals for the roof my all-aluminum trailer, and — as I’m away from home more days than not — I’m back to the quarter-wave whip, as:

1). An A99 (or similar) isn’t going to do well laid over just above a roof baking at 160F most summer days.
2). The expense of an alternative which might (better) survive is $600+
3). It’s a mobile installation is what to keep in mind.
4). Interference with neighbors is a potential to avoid (RV Parks frown on radio antennas).

5). As it’s a mobile install, being able to use it near-immediately anywhere is its own priority.

Since the primary interference concern appears to be TV related, if it arises you can install a low pass filter between the radio and antenna. This type of interference would likely be harmonically related and these filter can provide upwards of 80 attenuation to these harmonics. They do nothing to prevent direct RFI to sound systems, landlines, ect. Most TV broadcast takes place in the High Band and UHF spectrum today. That digital signal is much more resistant to CB interference.

Will be worth testing with cooperative neighbor or two given a 102” permanent-mount. Got a NYE-VIKING to try.

Last edited:
Reactions: L2
Just put up the vertical and paint it some natural color so its not that loud white color. Rattle can that sucker. I would choise the dipole hands down but if you cant get it up in the air it will be a dismal performer

Reactions: Slowmover
A dipole will be easy to hide and get it up in a tall tree or a tall object. Or like some have said a 1/4 wave in the center of the roof or even a short pole from the back bumper.

Reactions: Slowmover
“Metal roof” is why I responded to this thread. To wake up commenters. Mines a mobile install, but used while stationary. 102” SS whip with a layover appears best. I appreciate the posts earlier linked (replied) in helping this decision.

I don’t believe a Fiberglas antenna will live long enough while laid almost against a super-hot metal roof in my case.

I’d rather enjoy half-wave performance, but RFI & Neighbor problems ALSO preclude the A99 choice (and it’d need to be non-metallic paint).

I have a couple of dipoles plus a bazooka to throw out if I park at a location I can use them. I agree it’s the way to go for stationary use & ease (easily hidden).

The OP wondered A99 versus Dipole. In his case, why not both (parked long -term)?

I have a Sirio 2008, 1/2 wave mounted on 10' pole. I talk all around the lower 48, Alaska, Canada, with all good reports. My radio is clean but tuned, modulation turned up, and it is a DX98VHP 200 watt radio though. I've had no complaints from neighbors. The antenna is mounted to the tongue with u-clamps, and I use very good coax, LMR400UF. I can take down this antenna and have it packed away in 15 minutes. I really couldn't ask for more.cbant.jpg

Reactions: Rwb and L2
Hello guys. I have a slight dilemma. I work away from home and live in my travel trailer in an rv park. I would like to set up my equipment in the trailer and have a small base station to tinker with in the evenings. I have already received approval from the park owner to install my antron 99 on a 10' pole behind my camper. However, I really hate to do this because I really don't think he understands it is 18' tall and will be more noticeable than he realizes.

So, I was thinking of putting an 11 meter dipole alongside the trailer as an alternative. It would run the length of the trailer on the backside and would be less invasive to those around me. Here's the issue. If I hung the dipole in an inverted V on the side of my camper, will it perform? Or will the trailer interfere too much with tx/rx?

Also, how should I expect it to perform versus the A99? In a perfect world, I'd like to be able to talk 15-20 miles local and also shoot some skip when conditions are favorable. I used to have the A99 up at home on a 20' pole and I talked skip all over the lower 48 on a barefoot Ranger 2950.

Let me know which option you guys think would be best. I was going to pull the trigger on a Saturn B100, but had to be honest with myself that it is highly unlikely that it would even talk across town.

73's,
Brandon
Honesty is the best policy. provide a photo and spec sheet via email of the antenna to the Park Owner. If he approves your antenna via email, you will have proof and a "good to go" plan.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.