• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter Extended Double Zepp

I have a feeling that my new antenna is going to work like crazy here. In my first test drive it was up only 36' at the base and I had a qso with a truck driver 93.6 miles away with a mountain between us. Hopefully when I finished with the computer modeling it will do alot better then before when I take it out again for another test drive.
what is your new antenna???

So a single zepp, a j-pole in effect. I had a j-pole for a short bit, worked ok, easy to feed for sure.

So a single zepp, a j-pole in effect. I had a j-pole for a short bit, worked ok, easy to feed for sure.
I chose the ESZ instead of J-Pole because its shorter and can be installed higher. The J-Pole is around 25' which for me would be too long.
Decided to put it on the circuit after completing a test drive which produced a swr under<1.1.1 on the frequencies that I qso on. Hopefully skywave propagation conditions will come to find out how it really performs. Enclosed is a picture of the finished product.

Attachments

• 20200508_073045.jpg
    20200508_073045.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Reactions: xm49north7
nice looks like some great height, just took the edz down, and the open line, have a diamond at the top of the oak tree, with coax feed. Will be hooking her up this afternoon for a run; fingers crossed. I think my crap home built open line has been part of my problem. Will need to buy some window line, or good coax someday when I can afford.

nice looks like some great height, just took the edz down, and the open line, have a diamond at the top of the oak tree, with coax feed. Will be hooking her up this afternoon for a run; fingers crossed. I think my crap home built open line has been part of my problem. Will need to buy some window line, or good coax someday when I can afford.
Roger that!

My ESZ is performing very well. Had a little bit of skywave propagation conditions yesterday morning but it wasn't strong enough to get a solid qso. Hopefully today I might have better luck.
Groundwave propagation conditions are without a doubt spectacular. Was told I sound very loud/clear. Now that I have my vertical dipole up and running its time to start my next antenna project which will be a 66' vertical 12g wire half delta loop/sloper in the enclosed screen shot #f which I will be computer modeling to use as a beam due to the harmonics for 11m it produces which will give at least 10db+ gain over the ESZ. Since the weather is getting better it's time to start putting together a antenna farm for the summer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200505-151846_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200505-151846_Chrome.jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Reactions: xm49north7
Skip has been amazing here morning till 9.30 at night, getting out many times a day, and some long talk skip as well, 10 to 30 mins, 1000 miles out. Hope it keeps rolling. Look forward to hear how the half delta performs. Will look up some facts on this one, giver her a look in software.

Reactions: Boat Anchor 63
There was a nice burst of skip here this morning. First Hawaii then I started hearing Oregon, Washington and then San Diego which is only about 200 miles away. Its dead now. I'm on a double bazooka inverted v dipole for reference.

Skywave propagation conditions have been spectacular today with the homemade ESZ.
I was able have qso's with operator's in
WashingtonState/Oregon/Wyoming/Utah/
Colorado/Montana/Nevada/Mexico with ease.
Looking forward to seeing how well my
66' half delta loop/sloper 12g wire antenna performs after I put it up.

Last edited:
Since Solar Cycle 25 is on the upswing I decided to put up my homemade 1.25 wavelength vertical extended double zepp wire dipole antenna again.

Attachments

• 20200619_082453.jpg
    20200619_082453.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Skywave propagation conditions weren't all that good but I was able to have qso's with operator's in Washington State, Colorado, Montana, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Texas.

There was a nice burst of skip here this morning. First Hawaii then I started hearing Oregon, Washington and then San Diego which is only about 200 miles away. Its dead now. I'm on a double bazooka inverted v dipole for reference.
I have been thinking about making a 11m extended double zepp inverted v wire antenna but there isn't alot of data on the web about it.
All I know is that if its sides are bent down 45 degrees or greater it will have a good 50 ohm match with a swr 1.1 and is horizontally omnidirectional. If wind conditions are good I will probably put it up sometime soon just to see what I can hear hopefully skywave propagation conditions are good.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200730-081333_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200730-081333_Chrome.jpg
    844 KB · Views: 17
I built one for 11m a few years ago. Ran it horizontal. It loved noise and was abandoned.
Built one for 2m and mounted it vertical. It never delivered beyond the 1/4^ GP, which actually did better, nor any other non-colliniar vertical I have used.
I have built a ton of wire antennas. But for the gain figures vertically as modeled, I will stick with a V4k, Astroplane, or 5/8 GP.
Just my experiences so far have brought me here.

Last edited:
HomerBB,
I decided not to build the 11m extended double zepp inverted v due not wanting to break the element that will be slanted down. Instead I build a 11m 5/8 vertical wire dipole antenna instead because I can put it up higher. So far its working spectacularly awesome. I have a 1.0.1 swr on 27.185mHz am which I talk the most. 27.385mHz lsb is the same. Looking forward to when skywave propagation conditions are good so I can see how it really performs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated