1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

11 meter is very quiet?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Tweetybird, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Ghosttracker

Ghosttracker New Member

Here in Northwest Indiana the 11 meter talkers have mostly become trucker's. They're a hoot to talk with but I would really like to get some folks together talking on a regular basis again. Do some coffee breaks like we used to. This crapola virus kinda has folks down a bit and maybe after restrictions are loosened some on restaurants we can get some ratchet jaws together again. Really miss the chit chat. Got a big 4 element yagi going up this spring to start some better dx longer out from the local mess. 73's and keep on talkin, listening, let's keep that 27MHz band Rollin ! I hope to dx all of you soon.

2. WECSOG

WECSOG Sr. Member

Cobra 29 is well thought of in the AM world. I have one myself. Listen to Channel 6 for band openings; you will probably hear them before any other channel. 6 is the "Superbowl" (no relation to the football game) and it is entertaining, for lack of a better term.
    Other channels to check out on AM are 11, 26 and 28.

3. Rick330man

Rick330man WDX 404

I went out on the boat and set up my simple 1/4 wave vertical dipole. Between 4:15P.M. and 5:00P.M. eastern I could hear some U.S. stations, but Witch Doctor in Trinidad and 004 in Barbados both dominated LSB 38. They were speaking to various U.S. stations. I could hear 954 in Ft. Lauderdale (and I'm about 125 miles from him). A central Florida station also could be heard. I managed to catch Witch Doctor when he was down on 36 LSB. 421 in San Juan, Puerto Rico could also be heard in the distance

Scanning around the band, you could hear AM skip rolling in Spanish on channel 9 and a few other frequencies. Channel 6 was active and its traffic managed to bleed about another 6 channels above and below it. There was also some domestic skip on 19 and 13.

There was definitely skip rolling earlier this afternoon. It wasn't the strongest, but it was definitely there.

S&W357, WECSOG and Slowmover like this.
  4. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

Prop has been excellent here all afternoon. I haven’t been out in the mobile, but made a couple calls with my indoor dipole while working on some things and had no problem connecting with Brazil and Uruguay.

5. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

It's still good here. I talked to FL, TN and WV a about 20 minutes ago.

WECSOG likes this.
  6. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

You east coast guys need to share the DX.

7. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

I checked the radio mid afternoon and as I suspected, nothing. Dead. I'm bummed.

Red012 likes this.
  8. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 WDX-1030 / U812 South Texas

Distant murmurs. :cry:

9. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

Look on the bright side, at least you heard something.;)

10. Red012

Red012 New Member

I know if nothing else i can get on the channel my buddy uses in his tractor and talk to him but i live right off i 65

WECSOG and Slowmover like this.
  11. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

I’m actually surprised that anywhere in the lower 48 didn’t have propagation today. I heard South Africa this morning, then the Caribbean opened up, then South and Central America, Canada and much of the US.

Today was definitely the strongest propagation I’ve seen in the past 6 months. It’s a rare day I can work Uruguay with 30 watts and an indoor dipole.

12. Red012

Red012 New Member

Hopefully there will be some more folks on radio due to the virus

13. S&W357

S&W357 $upporting Member N.C. WDX-556

Some here but wasn’t as good as Sunday afternoon.

14. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I heard Alabama coming in strong today.

WECSOG and S&W357 like this.
  15. 2NC995

2NC995 DAN

Random question for anyone that may know...

When did 27.600 turn into another “bowl” channel?