• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Hearing, California,Texas, Mexico, Nevada, Virgin Islands, but nobody can hear me at all, very strange conditions, Long Skip I would say, compared to normal. So Must be a very high layer were bouncing off.
Yes very long skip, usually I can only get the states east of the Mississippi. I was hearing California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, but they couldn't hear me. I have to get some kind of beam going.

What antenna were you running, Shade?

I noticed this when I first started about 25 years ago. With a mobile, I could hang right there all day with east coast skip. When the west coast skip came in it was like I wasn’t there! I tend to think it’s related to angle of radiation more than anything.

I was reminded of this today while getting no where with my mobile on 38lsb :)

What antenna were you running, Shade?

I noticed this when I first started about 25 years ago. With a mobile, I could hang right there all day with east coast skip. When the west coast skip came in it was like I wasn’t there! I tend to think it’s related to angle of radiation more than anything.

I was reminded of this today while getting no where with my mobile on 38lsb :)
I have a Sirio Vector 4000 about 40ft to the feed point. I was running a Stryker 955 and an XForce 4 pill. Am or SSB I could only get one state over. I have talked to most of the states east of the Mississippi several times before so I'm sure its doing something. I should have gone out to the garage to see if my Star Duster could make any difference. Sure was some strange conditions, looking forward to the solar cycle coming back.

I heard extremely strong signals from New Mexico breaking my tight squelch on 19 today. Usually Florida and other southern states are prevalent from this location in Western NY. I wanted to switch over to SSB, but I'm trying to complete a long list of things that need to be done before the snow flies. At least I can enjoy listening while I work. Several distant repeaters on 2 meters (over 100 miles) were also heard alongside our local repeater yesterday. I believe the VHF signals were attributed to temperature inversion. Recently we have been getting frost at night and up to 72 deg F by noon.

Yes very long skip, usually I can only get the states east of the Mississippi. I was hearing California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, but they couldn't hear me. I have to get some kind of beam going.
I do not run any power, but do have some gain, about 8dbi, running a co-phased linear array ( IE pair of full wave loops) Does work very well, but it did not get me out. I think for long skip, the distance is just to great for my 12 watts. My longest shot sems to be about 1400 miles, that is my longest repeatable so far, which is Florida from here in Ontario, I can Just make Florida, South Carolina seems to be my sweet spot, when skip is on I can get regular conversations in that area of the east very well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?