• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

What we’re going to try tonight is almost exactly 100 miles from my QTH to Ocean One’s.

I’ve heard him before when working DX, so I’m pretty optimistic, if only the QRM is down at my sweet spot and my mobile can make it back to him. If that works, I’ll start dialing down the power o_O

Oh...and because Ocean One is out on the Outer Banks...that 100 miles is about a 4 Hr drive from here. :D

Ok. I went on 37 LSB and called for Oceans One Cape Hatteras. I had Jody 429 in Mass. come back to me as well as 224 and 194 Maryland. They said I was doing about 10 S units up there, so I don't know if y'all heard me or not in NC ?? Just local chit chat about some guy installing speakers in his Trans Am lol...

Reactions: 357magnum
Ok. I went on 37 LSB and called for Oceans One Cape Hatteras. I had Jody 429 in Mass. come back to me as well as 224 and 194 Maryland. They said I was doing about 10 S units up there, so I don't know if y'all heard me or not in NC ?? Just local chit chat about some guy installing speakers in his Trans Am lol...

I think we both had s5 or more of noise in the receive. I could hear something buried deep in the noise on 37lsb, but that was about the extent of it.

38lsb was alive and well on my short drive back to the house.

Reactions: 357magnum
I was up in Miami for a few days. Skip could be heard, but it wasn't workable on a barefoot base through an A99.

I'll be hitting the road for a trip that'll cover at least a week. I'll have my Cherokee AH100 SSB walkie talkie in the car with my 4' whip on a magnetic mount. Let's see if skip happens.

My New Sirio 27-4 beam still in the box in the garage , no help or time yet to put it up . Hope I can get it done before the snow fly's ! Flat side & Dx will be better than my A-99 for sure !:LOL: I must have missed that Dx when you guys were talking into Mass . Usually if they can talk your way I have NP's . I had Dx @ times but when I'd check it never really set up ? Listen for me anyway " 1183 The Mini State " . 73 , Leo

I had two stations from your way, 419 Alabama(Jack), and had you on my note pad, maybe I just tried for ya, but I do remember your station being loud and modulation was spot on :) 8 pm tonight some of us are going to try for contact on 37 lsb, ya never know? I will roll the beams in your direction and give it a try. I belong to a sideband club way up in New Hampshire and we try on thursday nights (36 lsb) to make contact 8 till 9pm, on many nights when nothing is going will still get through somehow. Have a nice evening, 73's Ocean One Cape Hatteras

Today I can hear you between the Boston stations.

EDIT: Ok, that was cool. Thanks for having 940 of Mass pass a five. I could hear you with an RS of probably 3/1, but I suppose my mobile wouldn’t make it back. In Cedar Point today, probably about 103 miles or so from your QTH.

Last edited:
I was up in Miami for a few days. Skip could be heard, but it wasn't workable on a barefoot base through an A99.

I'll be hitting the road for a trip that'll cover at least a week. I'll have my Cherokee AH100 SSB walkie talkie in the car with my 4' whip on a magnetic mount. Let's see if skip happens.

A blast from the past! I bought one when they first came out, including the extended length antenna. I remember standing in the front yard with that antenna making several DX QSO's. It's nice to know some of those still stand the test of time (y)

I bought two right before the FCC pulled their certification and they went into extinction (only to be re-sold/re-branded as the Magnum 10/12, Spitfire 454, and a few others).

One has served me well for about 15 years. I have a TNC/BNC adapter that allows me to use the telescoping antenna from the Realistic TRC 226 (great little radios). Standing on sandbars in the Keys, I've been able to reach plenty of the U.S. When I hooked up a Shakespeare 176-1 Big Stick, it was DX city. Good stock modulation. Still on frequency. No drift. It has proven itself to be an amazingly good little radio.

The second AH100 sits new in the box. I'm going to have to bring it out for some use soon.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.