1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

11 meter is very quiet?

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by Tweetybird, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Woody-202

Woody-202 Sr. Member

The biggest reason for lack of base station activity here around the Houston area is Deed restrictions.

Slowmover, 357magnum and xm49north7 like this.

2. xm49north7

xm49north7 Well-Known Member

I keep forgetting, I am in the woods middle of nowhere. I have heard if you check some of these lot restrictions they infringe on your constitutional rights, and would not stand up in court. In the U.S.A I have heard you have some rights to an antenna in law, and these local laws will not stand. I would look into covert antenna of some sort, flag pole radiators, In tree vertical loops of fine wire, there are ways to get the job done.

3. Woody-202

Woody-202 Sr. Member

I use an indoor MLA for most CB or Ham communications. It's not the greatest for local chatter but usually with dx if I can hear them, they can hear me.

Slowmover, Riverman and xm49north7 like this.
  4. xm49north7

What are your thoughts on out door MLA, would they out perform, a full wave loop antenna I get about 3 dbi over a dipole with one of my loops, and my 2 loops together get me 6 dbi, in a directional pattern. I have no experience with MLA, some people post they are great some say they are not so good. I am always looking for new things to play with, even did a loop array for my tv set, and it is working amazingly well. Yes making antennas is a serious hobby here for the last year or so.

5. Woody-202

Woody-202 Sr. Member

I wanted an indoor solution to our "no external antenna" HOA-NAZI regime. Even with crappy band conditions if I hear them, they usually hear me. I've used this on 10,11, 20, and 40 meters using 4-20 watts (4w when using my FT-817 and 15/20 when using my TS-2000).

I don't have a dipole or other base antenna to compare it with and only know what I've read online when it comes to that type of A/B comparison. I did do a "2nd floor-indoor / outside-of-garage" test and didn't notice a big difference.

As well, I compared the MLA vs. my mobile antenna and it was about 1 or 2 S-Units less with the MLA. As you've probably read, if you move around a band much, prepare for a lot of turning the V Cap. This has never really been a sore point with me. Higher up in frequency (10/11m) it's a larger bandwidth so usually I don't have to mess with the v cap much at all. Would I go with an MLA again? Given my circumstances - Yep.

The mantra I try to follow is: "The best antenna is the one you have to use" (or something like that).

6. xm49north7

That is a fact, the one that works, is the one you use. Great skip here today, hitting as far as florida, made dozens of contacts from here in Ontario Canada, even hearing Alaska on am.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  7. 314

314 Well-Known Member

Finally got someone on 16LSB today, I was listening to an out of state SDR, really cool!

8. xm49north7

I will check in on 16 in a bit, sorry to say I forgot to do 16, am 20, and 38lsb were so alive, I got caught up on it, first day we did the channel 16 I did talk with one of the members on here. Not picked up anybody else since. I will do better to check 16. "NORTH 7" Said that!!

357magnum likes this.
  9. Woody-202

Woody-202 Sr. Member

It's good to see that someone is using 16lsb, and, SDR sites make for great listening.

357magnum and xm49north7 like this.
  10. L2

L2 Well-Known Member

Not quiet around here.

357magnum and xm49north7 like this.
  11. Riverman

Riverman Old Member

I had an Alexloop for a while and loved it. Used it outdoors and indoors on the ham bands but have no doubt it would work great on 11 meters as well. Sold it and got the MFJ 1786 to have remote tuning. Big mistake. As usual, MFJ quality was poor. Loose nuts and bolts + eratic performamce = return for refund.

12. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

I thought it was so you didn’t have to listen to that guy in New Mexico.

13. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

We had late night DX on the west coast last night. Made a couple of good contacts, first DX in over a month!

357magnum likes this.
  14. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Finally this Am , chatted w/ 056 Ontario Canada , Great Conditions , 20Db+ into Ontario !:)

S&W357 and xm49north7 like this.
  15. xm49north7

I am sure we heard you in there, last 2 days been great, looking forward to more, I will be on there often, "NORTH 7 , Ontario"