• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Redbeard, Where in Texas are you? I have a clean shot into the Longhorn with no mountains on my west side. Every other side, but not on the west lol. Should be able to talk to you, bro, when the dx is rollin. Let me know your call sign as well so I can call ya.

No I do not Gary 327. Where is he located at? I've been in operation for only a few months and I do not get on the radio too often. I've heard a couple of local guys talking and I do not have anything in common with them to get involved with their particular type of conversations.

Recon, he is also in upstate NY somewhere. He runs a mobile pushing at least a kw 'cause he is one of the loudest out of the big apple. He walks on many base stations from up there. I will ask him where he is at next time I talk to him and post back for you.

Redbeard, Where in Texas are you? I have a clean shot into the Longhorn with no mountains on my west side. Every other side, but not on the west lol. Should be able to talk to you, bro, when the dx is rollin. Let me know your call sign as well so I can call ya.

Recon, he is also in upstate NY somewhere. He runs a mobile pushing at least a kw 'cause he is one of the loudest out of the big apple. He walks on many base stations from up there. I will ask him where he is at next time I talk to him and post back for you.
U812 South Texas....Port Lavaca. On lsb 38 now.

Kav is bout ten miles from me. He's 223 South Texas. He's had better luck, took the duals off his truck and mounted on barn.

I got ya lsb 38...but logjams

Pleasure talking with you, U812. I didn't hear your buddy 223 but in the 15 minutes I was on got to talk to yourself, 302 "Gary", WWS248 mobile out of Austin, 138 in Dallas, 443 in San Antonio, Triple 3, and 12. I was using my RCI 2970N2 with a D-104 running off my ground plane SHOCKWAVE 45 feet in the air.

Pleasure talking with you, U812. I didn't hear your buddy 223 but in the 15 minutes I was on got to talk to yourself, 302 "Gary", WWS248 mobile out of Austin, 138 in Dallas, 443 in San Antonio, Triple 3, and 12. I was using my RCI 2970N2 with a D-104 running off my ground plane SHOCKWAVE 45 feet in the air.
Damn, wishing I had enough power to run my new, still in the box, N2. Tuned and peaked by Clay's out of San Antonio. Lo specs 20~100, hi 100~260. That's AM spec only. SSB will prolly take more than the 30 amps I have available now. Sold my D104 to Kav years ago. Wish I hadn't.

I was running just the stock radio with approx. 200W PEP. My D-104 however is modified. A few years back I pulled the amp board out of the base and installed a perf boarded 4 stage speech compressor I built. It really cranks out the audio. Keeps my average modulation right at 200w PEP at all times. Enough for me to get over the top :) What kind of signal was I throwing on ya?

I was running just the stock radio with approx. 200W PEP. My D-104 however is modified. A few years back I pulled the amp board out of the base and installed a perf boarded 4 stage speech compressor I built. It really cranks out the audio. Keeps my average modulation right at 200w PEP at all times. Enough for me to get over the top :) What kind of signal was I throwing on ya?
5~7 pretty good in that pile up.

My old D104 was an amplified model really made a difference, had old siltronics 1011D (D for drift-o-matic). Sold the set up, then he smoked it. I still get to look at it when over there, sometimes I can touch it, but he gets jealous about my previous relationship with that chicken choker. I presume it still works, if he ain't put the golden screwdriver to it. It hasn't been hooked up in years.

My Turner +2 ssb sounds so much better (fuller sounding) than the " tinny " D-104 does on the N2, But it has nowhere near the punch of the D-104 compressor mic. I should build the same compressor board and put it in a box that hooks between the mic and the radio. Just plug and play. There just isn't enough room inside the Turner +2 with the relays to mount that perf board. The only thing I don't like about that Turner +2 is the "bumpedy bump" noises when you push the bottom black plastic piece to key it up lol. Drives me nuts.

View attachment 32218 cool :)
I should have tried the beam. It's only 10 feet off the ground sitting on a pole waiting to go up on my tower as soon as my rotor cable arrives but I can still turn it by hand to point it lol. Didn't think about it until later.
Shoot....just use an old Stilson wrench to find tune it.

Man....I've forgotten what real trees look like. Taint nuth'n but resacth mesquite and hackberry down here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.