• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

Like to get my hands on a good turner+2. Ol' lab has one rotting away in his barn with my blown 1011d.:notworthy:

I've seen posts where folks have commented that the old Johnson desk mics were basically Turner +2 guts in a +3 shell. Maybe someone can verify that for you. I still see those Johnson desk mics pop up on Ebay.

Last edited:
9:30 AM lsb woke up. No contacts, but they be yak'n........I'm call'n but no response. This little 980 rec's pretty well.

I LOVE my UNIDEN 980SSB.It's a great little transceiver that works very well.I love the display & keep mine on my Favorite color of RED because it's a HOT radio.

SIX-SHOOTER.

I've seen posts where folks have commented that the old Johnson desk mics were basically Turner +2 guts in a +3 shell. Maybe someone can verify that for you. I still those Johnson desk mics pop up on Ebay.

I have never compared the Johnson desk microphone with a Turner Plus 3 but I own a Johnson desk microphone & it matches my Johnson 250 & it sounds great on it as well. I am an Astatic D-104 desk microphone collector so I was never much of a fan of Turner desk microphones at all.I like the Turner & Astatic hand microphones very much so either works for me there.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: 357magnum
75 , I guess you don't spend much time on " The Bowl " ! No worries I just pass through when things are quiet on my end . But Double Trouble is one of the Big Boys , I don't know how Shade made contact because DT never un-keys long enough to get a word in ! Good Job Shade .... You got Lucky ! He's a Motor Mouth !:LOL:

I've seen posts where folks have commented that the old Johnson desk mics were basically Turner +2 guts in a +3 shell. Maybe someone can verify that for you. I still those Johnson desk mics pop up on Ebay.

The desk mic that looks like an older Turner (253/254) wasn't amplified (but sounded very good). As I recall, their desk microphone that looked like a Turner +3 did not have a volume control on top, but it did have an adjustment hole in the bottom plate. I can't remember if there was a amplifier circuit or not. :unsure:

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
75 , I guess you don't spend much time on " The Bowl " ! No worries I just pass through when things are quiet on my end . But Double Trouble is one of the Big Boys , I don't know how Shade made contact because DT never un-keys long enough to get a word in ! Good Job Shade .... You got Lucky ! He's a Motor Mouth !:LOL:
Haha no I did not get to talk to DT, I was just giving my signal report on him. Maybe some day when I am a big dog I can talk to him. Haha

I was on 38 LSB this morning for about 20 minutes or so and got to talk to a lot of my northern neighbors.
357 Long Island NY
two double zero Keystone
882 Penn.
420 Conn.
19 NY
double zero 35 Gettysburg
669 SE Mich.
985 Philly
711 Ohio
conditions were in and out but a lot said I was dropping the hammer from below the Mason Dixon :)

The desk mic that looks like an older Turner (253/254) wasn't amplified (but sounded very good). As I recall, their desk microphone that looked like a Turner +3 did not have a volume control on top, but it did have an adjustment hole in the bottom plate. I can't remember if there was a amplifier circuit or not. :unsure:

I've got two of the Johnson's described - the one with the adjustment on the bottom side. Each is wired for the old Realistic/Radio Shack 5 pin DIN plug jacks. (I understand some later Radio Shack units went to 4 pin jacks.) Each requires a 9 volt battery.

We're going back a few years, but I'm pretty sure it was the guy who soldered the DIN plug connectors for me who gave me the "basically a Turner +2 in a +3 shell" explanation. He has since retired from the electronics shop he worked at, but he was licensed HAM with a wealth of information on all things radio related. On the exterior, one of these standing next to my +3 base mics or Super Sidekicks looks almost like a twin.

My curiosity as been tweaked. I'm going to have to look further.

To tell you the honest truth, I went down to channel 6 one time. It was a few years back. I had acquired a 24 pill class c amplifier/power supply combo on a trade for an old Ford pickup I had parked over yonder in the yard. Of course I had to do a test run and see how it worked. I went down to 6 and keyed it down. I remembered my legs were shaking...lol Never ran that much power before. I said " We gonna key it up this time, and we ain't gonna key it again. World Wide 75 saying heeeeello" I un-keyed and heard everyone calling back for me. I turned the power supply off, turned to my friend and said done deal! and shook his hand. I have never been back. Still got the amp but sold the power supply to another friend that offered an amount I could not refuse. I think I'm gonna hang on to that amp still. Maybe I can find me another 220v bigass supply down the road to get her back up runnin'

In regards to the Johnson mic question - I had one matched up with my 250 Johnson and it was an amazing microphone. It did have the adjustment on the bottom and I believe was powered by the radio on a hot pin. Never opened up the microphone but it definitely was very similar styling to the Turner +3 so I always assumed they were similar. I still miss that setup, it may have been the best sounding AM combo I've ever owned.

I believe you are correct and that it gets power from the radio maybe like the Browning 776 which is also amplified but many did not have a hole in the bottom plate in the later run of the microphones for adjusting the gain.Both are great sounding microphones.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: Woody-202

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.