• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

last few days id hear scrambled voices .too many at same time but thats radioing. last week i got great dxing within the usa. cali,oregon,fla new yawk, pennsylvania and few other states . then at midnite 2 or 3 days austrailia was great contacs

I picked up a radio at a yard sale, and another guy gave me an antenna, so setting a young fella up with a free rig. I think cb has the potential to grow. Talk about it, help it along, One good thing where I live almost nobody running big power. So we have clear air to talk on when we do. One thing I have noticed is very few running base, alot of mobile, which does not translate into even radio. I suspect this is cost and maybe people new to cb find setting up a base intimidating. Money does not need to be a factor , my antennas are all home built, because they work better, and they cost me nothing, I started back in the day on a 5/8 wave. I suspect some of the new people into cb literally have very little idea on setting up a base. The other problem is up here where I am, there is no place to buy gear, 70 miles to a cb shop, and it is hard to find. Not like the old days , you just went to radio shack, they would set you up, explain what to do. Now it really is up to US, people who are enjoying it to, spread the word, and spread the knowledge..
I Hear that! I remember we all used to put down Radio Shack. We wouldn't be cought with a realistic CB radio in our cars. But now that they are gone, we seem to be a little handicapped. As far as setting up a base station. That came very easy for me with my first radio. I bought a President P300 from a yard sale for 15 bucks. Some angry ex girlfriend getting back at her ex bo. I wasn't even looking for a cb radio. I just love yard sales and happen to find this deal. Which also came with a marine radio. 2 radios for 15 bucks. Not bad. My friend Bob had an old halfwave radio shack antenna from the late 70's. I traded him that for some things I had that he wanted. I went to Radio Shack. (Made sure no one was watching me) And bought an RG 8 coax for CB base station. My friend Bob also gave me a bunch of swimming pool poles. So I was able to make a mast out of some to erect my antenna. I already had a power supply. (Don't remember where I got that) Hooked it all up in no time and before you knew it, I had an active base station. And where I lived at that time, (1991) it was busy. Especially channel 14. Basically my whole station was a "don't let this happen to you" kind of station. But I was happy with it. (because I simply didn't know better) Ignorance is bliss, as they say. My radio was throwing all kinds of harmonics. My coax had very weak shielding. The neighbors were all over me about my station bleeding into their tv's and telephones. And that was all before I got my 150 watt amp. Then the torches and pitchforks came out. But the government men never came knocking. I definitely had humble beginnings, but I did learn about radio and good antenna propagation. I'm getting ready to set up my 3rd base station. And this time I have a very clean radio, antenna, and excellent coax cable. Looking forward to my next base station. Who knows. Maybe we'll get to talk. You all take care now. Be cool. Stay in school.
Your friend
Buzzman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated