• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11 meter is very quiet?

A lot of people swear by that antenna enough I would like to try it someday. I have put a 4' x 4' sheet of galvanized sheet metal out on my lawn and put a firestik indoor antenna on it and talked 3 states away thru Back Scatter without skip rolling and that was with a Cobra 29 running 4 watts. I got good SWR with a K40 ( antenna ) on sheet metal on the lawn before. Let your imagination run wild, just pay attention about the SWR. I imagine galvanized on the roof could be made into something good even if you had to run a ground wire to it. People use 102" whips all the time for base station antennas. Have fun !
nice! yea, its probably nothing compared to an anthron or something like that but its better then nothing i guess.

i wonder if people can hear me on the skip with that thing. my cb has something 35 watt on ssb, but its all about the antenna i keep hearing

Reactions: Rwb
The weird thing, when i put my swr/powermeter on the cb, its measures 40 watts on FM and 12watts on AM, but with ssb the meter doesnt flinch. i dont see the transmit power on the cb on ssb aswell.

is that normal? its a lincoln 2+

A fantastic DX day today for sure ! Made contacts everywhere from Europe to the South Pacific and the Canary Islands... Go Sunspots !
how did you make contact with europe? through LSB or USB? which channel did you use?

Hi Roscoe. With the current solar cycle in full swing contact with Europe is possible on 36 thru 40 LSB but not easy with all the other stations on there. Much easier on the frequencies above channel 40. I always run USB up there as that is the mode used by the majority of international stations. (LSB seems to only be used in North America, Europe sometimes, Australia and New Zealand). Keep in mind that in North America it is technically illegal to operate on those frequencies, though there is rarely any enforcement in the U.S. and never any in Canada. In many parts of the world operation on those frequencies is fully legal.
I run 120 watts into an Antron 99, or sometimes a 54 foot dipole through a tuner, and have talked to over 70 countries on every continent.
With a decent antenna you should have no trouble making contacts with 35 watts.

Hi Roscoe. With the current solar cycle in full swing contact with Europe is possible on 36 thru 40 LSB but not easy with all the other stations on there. Much easier on the frequencies above channel 40. I always run USB up there as that is the mode used by the majority of international stations. (LSB seems to only be used in North America, Europe sometimes, Australia and New Zealand). Keep in mind that in North America it is technically illegal to operate on those frequencies, though there is rarely any enforcement in the U.S. and never any in Canada. In many parts of the world operation on those frequencies is fully legal.
I run 120 watts into an Antron 99, or sometimes a 54 foot dipole through a tuner, and have talked to over 70 countries on every continent.
You're spot on! A lot of people never even consider USB, but I've found it to be very productive.

Now.. back to 11 meter conditions.
11 meters today in my area is so so. I've had a couple of good qso's, but I had to be quick or it's gone. It looks like conditions may turn for the better, either Tuesday or Wednesday.
I hope so!

After yesterday's total wipeout the conditions here have recovered somewhat today. Not much happening on 555, but I made about a dozen contacts around the US and Canada this morning on 415 LSB. That's a good frequency, that doesn't seem to have been infected by the idiots who've ruined 385, 395, and 425.

After yesterday's total wipeout the conditions here have recovered somewhat today. Not much happening on 555, but I made about a dozen contacts around the US and Canada this morning on 415 LSB. That's a good frequency, that doesn't seem to have been infected by the idiots who've ruined 385, 395, and 425.
Lately I find myself up in the higher frequencies and it's so nice! I will occasionally go down to 37, 39, 40 whenever conditions call for it. I had lots of contacts today on 445. Several long QSO's.

very nice you have that many contacts. that antron99 truly is a good one, i keep hearing good words about it.

i will try the sirio performer 5000 on a sheetmetal first, i get it today. if it doesnt get good contacts, then maybe i should put up the anthron on the roof.

I run an old Kenwood TS140S from the late 1990's most of the time. I also use a Cobra 148GTL with a Palomar 200 sometimes. I use the same Turner CS-1 desk mic on both.
The two setups are pretty equal in terms of receive/transmit/audio, but the Kenwood has much better filters for adjacent channel rejection.

The only thing I've heard on 38 for months now is the 1111111 idiot from Tempe Arizona. He comes in here at s 9 all the time.
I was talking to someone down there the other day, and he supposedly is on 24 hours a day. Now that's a waste of some good equipment ! There may be other 111111 stations out there as well it seems. All of which makes 38 useless up here until skip drops out in the evening.

Bother. Beams on the ground trying to retune. Enjoy it lol hopefully one blessed day I will be able to again lol I can't ever hear the 11111 guy but someone said he's in TX so perhaps that's why.

I run an old Kenwood TS140S from the late 1990's most of the time. I also use a Cobra 148GTL with a Palomar 200 sometimes. I use the same Turner CS-1 desk mic on both.
The two setups are pretty equal in terms of receive/transmit/audio, but the Kenwood has much better filters for adjacent channel rejection.
i had to look up the Kenwood, really has a cool 90s aestetic to it. the display i recognize, they used that type of display in alot of appliances from that era, car clocks and the likes.

solid stuff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.