• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

11m Moxon vs 5/8GP

Crasher

Apr 25, 2012
Norwalk, OH
I currently run a Sirio S-827 35' up, works wonderful, excellent DX vertical and hear stations my locals either cannot hear or have a hard time hearing. I am also in a great location, with good elevation. My question is, will the MFJ Moxon horizontal antenna outperform the vertical for DX conditions? Space is limited, otherwise I'd be looking at something bigger.
Thanks

If you're really curious about what WILL happen as opposed to what MIGHT happen, get the Moxon and try it. Or BUILD a Moxon and try it.

I've always had good luck with verticals on DX on HF. Often the DX has called ME! Depends on the installation and too many variables for anyone to state definitively exactly how a particular antenna will work in your specific case. Experiment.

There are advantages and disadvantages either way. Sometimes one will work better and other times the other will work better. It depends on conditions. There are times when a signal is fading out on one polarization of antenna switching to the other will help you maintain contact...

The DB

When placed high enough.
Yes in most cases it will.

There will always be situations where a vertical can produce a stronger signal.
But overall...for DXing from a inland base station....those situations are rather rare.

Im a firm "believer" that for most "flipping" wont provide the "advantage" people initially migth think.
Now, im not saying it will never happen. Im saying those situations are not often...it is absolutly not a 50-50 situation.

With conditions, as soon as the signal hits the layers it will rotate.
From that point of view there is no bennefit between vertical and horizontal.
Now, this is not always the case of course...but most of the time.

Just think of all the bigguns....
Why would those multi dollar contest stations spend money in only horizontal stacked beams and not a single vertical (besides the low bands due to other reasons)
Why would broadcasting service spend evan more money on those big horizotal curtain antennas.

On of the reasons..
cause horizontal antennas have additional ground gain.

Besides..
The moxon will reduce the signals from other sides leaving a better signal to noise ratio.

I think i have constructed maybe 100 moxons now.
All have been tested before they went to the client.
And for the boomlength provided it is the best i have ever seen.

Of course bigger means more gain, etc etc...
But almost willing to say... It has the best performance versus size compared to any other antenna.

Get yourself a moxon put it up high...and enjoy the DX ...you will not be dissapointed.

Hope it is of use...

Kind regards,

H. 19sd348

Thank you all for the explanation!! Exactly what I wanted to hear.
Henry, I take it you make and sell these? Can you PM me some info?
Much appreciated!

A Moxon will absolutely slaughter a 5/8 vertical at just 25-30ft off the ground. Gain is about 10dBi over real ground which is similar to a 3 element yagi.

In addition to that you have rejection typically around 22dBi front to back so that when you're trying to talk to a station in a certain direction you're not having to struggle to hear them as much through those stations to the side and rear of you.

Why buy one though when you can build one quite easily?

Hello,

Im confident we make the 'best' one availible hihi.
But im afraid that wont work.

For two reasons:

And please do not get me wrong here...

1- I do not want anyone to think im using the forum as a advertising board.
So, if i make a "deal" with you, it has resulted in something i dont want.
As i respect all on this forum...

Im a antenna enthousiast. This forum is for debats, and it is one of the best forums around (if not the best). If i had commercial interest here my "debates" will never be seen as "honest" anymore. And beeing honest is far more valued than selling a antenna.

2- Shipping costs alone are probarbly as expensive as the antenna.

I can help if you wish to construct one of your own.
some sizes can be found here:

CB Antennas | antennas for 27 Mhz

And i can help you model the antenna if it needs to be out of aluminium.
As i am capable of modeling tappered bend elements something normal antenna software lacks.

Besides...the good news ! The one of MFJ is probarbly oke :)

Hope you understand my point of view.

Kind regards,

Henry

I've thought about building my own, I just don't understand exactly how. I can't have the thing up there looking like a complete POS. I have (friendly) neighbors to deal with. But the 25-30' up is perfect!

moxonantennaproject.com has lots of different ideas.

For 11m it'll be roughly 12ft x 5ft.

I've thought about building my own, I just don't understand exactly how. I can't have the thing up there looking like a complete POS. I have (friendly) neighbors to deal with. But the 25-30' up is perfect!

If they are your "friendly" neighbors then they should not complain about the antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated