1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

148 GTL IC5 mixer

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by 144inBama, Feb 26, 2021.

1. 144inBama

144inBama Electricity doesn't kill you, ignorance does.

OK.....Tech told me he thinks the mixer, I'm assuming IC5?, possibly "both" mixers are bad, not sure what the second one is (any help here would be great). He said they are OEM components so he can't get them. NOW....my question is this, assuming I can't get/find direct replacements from a eBay parts radio, are there any that can be made to work? My understanding is that the pinout changed between the Philippines, Malaysia, and China versions, no biggie for my plan. I just need to know if other than the pinout, are there any other differences in the ICs and would any other components need to be swapped?

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Just replace with another so42p if we talk about TX mixer :)

144inBama likes this.
  3. 144inBama

Well....That's what I was thinking but he made it sounds like it HAD to be one from a Malaysia 148..... So I didn't want to just replace it and it be the wrong or an incompatible part.

4. Transresistor

Transresistor Member

Available on eBay from seller: s9cb_radios
    Might need to locate new tech as well (LOL).

5. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

The original Siemens brand "S042P" part almost never fails.

Almost. What we find more often is a radio that has lost one or the other of the two input signals to that chip.

Radios made since the original chip was discontinued will have a tiny circuit board the size of the original chip and the correct-size 14 pins. Goes into the circuit board in place of the original chip.

That, uh, "aftermarket" part may or may not be as reliable as the original S042P.

Since they fail so seldom, we have never had occasion to investigate compatibility between the original chip and the later substitutes.

Might be a "drop in", might not.

Odds are better that some other fault has shut down the transmitter. Haven't found a bad S042P in ten or fifteen years. Pretty sure we have seen exactly one failure of the newer substitute module chips since the first showed up fifteen or so years back.

6. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

SO42P+Datasheet+rev1[1].jpg

The S042P used to have a Clone from Toshiba...

TDA 6130

GrantXL.jpg

Used in Grant XL's Galaxy radios - many others - so you're not without options...

Even Cobra "Rolled their own"

To replace the 6131...
    upload_2021-2-27_8-50-57.png

So when you see those little piggy boards, they used similar to above to replace and interchange with both the S042P TDA6130 and the TDA6131 - See YOUDA....

freecell, TM86, tecnicoloco and 3 others like this.
  7. 144inBama

This is the one in mine.....

Attached Files:

#7 144inBama, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  8. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Do Your Research First, Then Decide...

Unless they zapped it with a hot soldering iron while powered up - the part is pretty close to being indestructible due to the buffering output to input circuit they use...
    upload_2021-2-27_13-6-21.png
    How much more information do you need?​

It just may need a tune up because it's either out of lock - or someone's mods blew out the Pre-driver...

upload_2021-2-27_13-17-14.png

Attached Files:

tecnicoloco, freecell and 144inBama like this.